Etihad atmosphere

I just go to home cup games and about 5 Premier League games when I can afford it.

Doesn’t matter where I sit the atmosphere is always awful.

Level 3 of both sides is that quiet I was even whispering to my niece one time as I didn’t want to sound rude being loud. ha! (Sadly thats not a joke)

I expect, whilst sat amongst the 9000 or so blues at The Swamp on Wednesday night, that the vast majority will sing themselves hoarse. That is the way, always is, always has been.
So, we play Barcelona next week. I expect the vast majority of fans at The Swamp will be sat at the Etihad, surrounded by other expectant fans, watching 2 of the best teams in Europe, and a good number of Individual players we'd have only dreamt about watching some years ago.
Difference is, most will have lost their ability to get behind the team, why...?
Consider this......, you go into work one particular day for a performance review in front of your colleagues and manager, because that's what the new manager wants you to do. You've been shown the ropes, trained and coached, and given your directives to achieve your goal, but all your colleagues heckle, boo and call you all the names under the sun, the moment you put your foot wrong. Your colleagues all then sit their quietly, offering no words of encouragement, and then they slope off, 10 or 15 minutes before the break, come back late, and then sod off home because things weren't going well.
Well folks, that's what our players experience every bloody game at the Etihad.
We either want to be part of the best period in our wonderful clubs history, and help the team achieve it, or it fails, because we can't get our shit together and show them we care, no matter what they try and do on the pitch.
In my 40 odd years of following City, I've heard and witnessed our crowds both destroy the team, and cheer them onto unexpected victories, it's nothing new.
Our Etihad crowd and atmosphere is the worst I've ever experienced.
It has now't to do with tourists, expensive beer and pies, poor road infrastructure, poor tram organisation, crap car park design, all seater stadiums, no smoking rules, Showsec, the aging demographic of our crowd, new fans, empty seats, the weather, KO times, or the price of tickets, It's us, the fans who couldn't show enough vocal support and passion so long as we've got a hole in our arse. WHY, supporter by definition supports, backs and encourages somebody or something. Shall we...?!

People might think i'm completely bonkers but the whole atmosphere/ match day experience over the last 3 years or so has made going to the match a real chore. It just feels so tepid and sterile and lifeless, people don't even get irate at refereeing decisions or flick the vs at away fans anymore, i don't know if it an age thing ( im in my 40s) or the feeling after the QPR game is an anti climax but i only go to games now out of duty. I think back to being a kid and big games and the like i could hardly sleep with nerves but now im just grumpy and pissed off and thinking i'd sooner try and get all the English and Scottish grounds in instead, perhaps i just hate modern football.

I'm the same mate. It's definitely modern football to an extent, I still love away games, but home games... Jeez. I watched Chelsea yesterday and the noise in that stadium, 10k less or whatever, was terrific compared to ours. I know it's a bigger game which was a lot more action packed but still. The real depressing thing is I don't know what the answer is. You have 1894 doing their part but they can't change the attitude of the masses. People seem to genuinely expect us to roll over everyone and for the players to not need, or maybe the modern footballer not deserving, our support until they've 'entertained' us. It's embarrassing, I'll be honest.

The poor lady next to me sometimes nearly jumps out of her seat when I start shouting during the match, it's a good job I sit on the end of the row so it's only one person being 'inconvenienced'!! :-)

But, when I was in Canada recently (just showing off there folks!!) I went with my son and his family to watch the Vancouver Whitecaps game and there was very little shouting or anything apart from when a goal was scored, the seats were comfortable you could have a drink at your seat, not sure if it was alcohol though as we took our own, they did search you at the entrance but let you through with bottled drinks. The atmosphere was great though, there was a buzz in the air, it's hard to describe but you just felt that everyone was interested and 'investing' in the game. I kept thinking why doesn't it feel like this at City these days. As I say not a lot of shouting and cheering but a good buzz/vibe/feeling, not sterile as it is sometimes at the Etihad and other grounds around the country. Sorry, just my two penn'orth. :-)

I expect, whilst sat amongst the 9000 or so blues at The Swamp on Wednesday night, that the vast majority will sing themselves hoarse. That is the way, always is, always has been.
So, we play Barcelona next week. I expect the vast majority of fans at The Swamp will be sat at the Etihad, surrounded by other expectant fans, watching 2 of the best teams in Europe, and a good number of Individual players we'd have only dreamt about watching some years ago.
Difference is, most will have lost their ability to get behind the team, why...?
Consider this......, you go into work one particular day for a performance review in front of your colleagues and manager, because that's what the new manager wants you to do. You've been shown the ropes, trained and coached, and given your directives to achieve your goal, but all your colleagues heckle, boo and call you all the names under the sun, the moment you put your foot wrong. Your colleagues all then sit their quietly, offering no words of encouragement, and then they slope off, 10 or 15 minutes before the break, come back late, and then sod off home because things weren't going well.
Well folks, that's what our players experience every bloody game at the Etihad.
We either want to be part of the best period in our wonderful clubs history, and help the team achieve it, or it fails, because we can't get our shit together and show them we care, no matter what they try and do on the pitch.
In my 40 odd years of following City, I've heard and witnessed our crowds both destroy the team, and cheer them onto unexpected victories, it's nothing new.
Our Etihad crowd and atmosphere is the worst I've ever experienced.
It has now't to do with tourists, expensive beer and pies, poor road infrastructure, poor tram organisation, crap car park design, all seater stadiums, no smoking rules, Showsec, the aging demographic of our crowd, new fans, empty seats, the weather, KO times, or the price of tickets, It's us, the fans who couldn't show enough vocal support and passion so long as we've got a hole in our arse. WHY, supporter by definition supports, backs and encourages somebody or something. Shall we...?!

The crowd get behind the team when it needs New stadiums lack atmosphere city is no different. A safe standing area would help .

Yes I remember how we never criticised our players at Maine road. Go and have a chat to Richard edgehill. Fucking ell he used to get hammered by the crowd. Absolutely hammered. The Maine road could be brutal at times to players and managers.

The atmosphere has declined as the expectations have grown.

Say pre 2008 and to an extent pre 2012/13 when our fans would go to games in hope of getting a result instead of expecting one, we felt the need to be the 12th man and help give the team an extra edge..Now it's a "well it's Bournemouth at home, we should roll them over" mentality so now, say it's 0-0 in the second half, instead of a "CMON CITYYY"...It's a "for fucksake why aren't we battering these already?"

some fair points here and true it is down to each individual fan not price of beer etc.

In 115 the atmosphere is quite good, some games better than others. West Ham & Bournemouth was good but the last two home games have died down a bit. The problem is songs dont spread and even people 3 or 4 blocks away that may join in cant hear the singing until more fans join in for "we've got guardiola". It beats me though that why behind the goals at a football match where we are stood up more fans dont join in singing or only pipe up when a goal is scored to sing "sergio sergio" . Not everybody goes to a game to sing, thats every bodies choice, but you would think behind the goals where we have around 3,000 fans a bigger percentage would sing.

Yesterday I waved a huge city flag as the players came on the pitch. As the team was announced two guys behind me didnt clap once just slagged off half the team as their names where mentioned and made comments like "he is ok" to odd players. As for the fans booing which I could even here in 115, it was disgraceful. Fans being negative like this dilutes the good fans who are there to support the club they have followed for decades.

City fans are quiet, that the top and bottom of it..

The only time we have a decent atmosphere is when we play utd ,liverpool or if we are chasing the game after coming from behind, or battling for a win after having a man sent off

I feel embarassed at some of the Champs League games, the away fans are always louder than us..

Pep must be thinking, what has he let himself in for..

There is not much we can do about it really, if people dont want to shout and sing at the game, what can we do to get them to change.

Added a bit in as the Norwich and Millwall games in Keegans promotion season were two of the loudest I heard at Maine Road

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.