Leeds Utd v City - 1976/77 FA Cup

Played Leeds away 81/82 midweek game when I was about 14. Me and my mate used to get a lift to the match off a woman off his road. Went to a few away matches with her and no idea why but we always used to sit in the home seats

So this night the match hadnt started and she realised she'd left her fags in the car so left the ground for them, said she'd be back in 10 minutes... but never came back

A gang of grown blokes behind us sussed us out and started to give us a load of grief, saying she'd been murdered and they were gonna do us in next.

Then we only went and scored in the last 5 minutes, header from Reeves or Tueart if I remember right. We both went up like dickheads and had to run for our lives!!

We ran back to the car and found his neighbour. Some Leeds fans had spotted the Manchester garage sticker, forced the door, let the handbrake off and pushed it down a hill into a lamppost, smashed the windows and the lights

It was just about drivable so we drove home over the tops in the M62 in a blizzard and fog at about 20mph with no lights

Out of all the away games of that era, Leeds away stood out from the others. The Boxing Day game was won comprehensively was it 3/1 ? However, I didn't get to see All of the game that day as I got thrown out by those very kindly Yorkshire police officers. As I got turfed out into the passageway behind the away end there sat my mate who had suffered the same fate as me for doing precisely nothing. We watched the remainder of the game from a hill that had advertising hoardings on which we climbed to get a view of the game. The following FA Cup game was equally lawless. The short film highlights the toxic mood of the day but nothing would capture the sheer intensity and threat of violence from admittedly, both sets of fans that day. After the game as we made our way through the car parks, I indulged in the only bout of football violence ive ever had to take part in whilst following the blues. I witnessed a young City fan, who was only 10 or 11 years of age, who was with his dad. The traffic was stationary when this Leeds shithead punched this young lad which caused his glasses to slide across the bonnet of a car. Being a tall fella I was able to see this shithead move around the stationary traffic and came towards me. As he passed me I deliverd my retribution. He fell like a sack of the proverbial shite. I wanted to console the young City fan but I felt the need to preserve my own wellbeing as it all looked like getting a bit ugly with the locals. It was all a long time ago, and thankfully times have moved on. However, I feel Leeds fans have never changed. A return to the Premier next year will show this to be true.

I didn't get to see the match in 78 at Birmingham. Got legged by load of Brummie punks who were in our end about an hour before kick off. Tried to scale the perimeter spiked fence onto the pitch and into the stands,but slipped and impaled my inside thigh onto the fence,about an inch from my nuts. Hospital and stitches inside and out.
To the OP,fantastic find that video. I was there and again the following year in the cup,or was it the year after,when the Leeds fans invaded the pitch.
As someone else mentioned demographic of possibly not just City fans,but fans in general seemed to be a lot younger in those days. A hell of a lot cheaper to attend matches. "Special" from Piccadilly to somewhere like Norwich no more than £3 if I remember correctly.

Out of all the away games of that era, Leeds away stood out from the others. The Boxing Day game was won comprehensively was it 3/1 ? However, I didn't get to see All of the game that day as I got thrown out by those very kindly Yorkshire police officers. As I got turfed out into the passageway behind the away end there sat my mate who had suffered the same fate as me for doing precisely nothing. We watched the remainder of the game from a hill that had advertising hoardings on which we climbed to get a view of the game. The following FA Cup game was equally lawless. The short film highlights the toxic mood of the day but nothing would capture the sheer intensity and threat of violence from admittedly, both sets of fans that day. After the game as we made our way through the car parks, I indulged in the only bout of football violence ive ever had to take part in whilst following the blues. I witnessed a young City fan, who was only 10 or 11 years of age, who was with his dad. The traffic was stationary when this Leeds shithead punched this young lad which caused his glasses to slide across the bonnet of a car. Being a tall fella I was able to see this shithead move around the stationary traffic and came towards me. As he passed me I deliverd my retribution. He fell like a sack of the proverbial shite. I wanted to console the young City fan but I felt the need to preserve my own wellbeing as it all looked like getting a bit ugly with the locals. It was all a long time ago, and thankfully times have moved on. However, I feel Leeds fans have never changed. A return to the Premier next year will show this to be true.

You Llyn Peninsula whallas are all the same....battering Leeds & bothering sheep.

Great clp, and a reminder of the passion that existed on and off the pitch in those days!

I was there the year after, and also the FA Cup game when we took well over 10,000 fans!

If they do come up, they will definitely make their presence felt!

Last edited:
Went to Elland Road a couple of times in that era and like others have said it was madness, in the ground and getting back to the station. Other Yorkshire grounds weren't as bad, unless you ever went to Post Office Road and Featherstone Rovers.

Went to Elland Road a couple of times in that era and like others have said it was madness, in the ground and getting back to the station. Other Yorkshire grounds weren't as bad, unless you ever went to Post Office Road and Featherstone Rovers.

Yep! A very grim outpost in the old Yorkshire mining area.

Not been for a while though, as we (Salford) haven't played them.

Played Leeds away 81/82 midweek game when I was about 14. Me and my mate used to get a lift to the match off a woman off his road. Went to a few away matches with her and no idea why but we always used to sit in the home seats

So this night the match hadnt started and she realised she'd left her fags in the car so left the ground for them, said she'd be back in 10 minutes... but never came back

A gang of grown blokes behind us sussed us out and started to give us a load of grief, saying she'd been murdered and they were gonna do us in next.

Then we only went and scored in the last 5 minutes, header from Reeves or Tueart if I remember right. We both went up like dickheads and had to run for our lives!!

We ran back to the car and found his neighbour. Some Leeds fans had spotted the Manchester garage sticker, forced the door, let the handbrake off and pushed it down a hill into a lamppost, smashed the windows and the lights

It was just about drivable so we drove home over the tops in the M62 in a blizzard and fog at about 20mph with no lights
Sorry to laugh but that is funny as fuck!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.