£18,000 for 'Manchester City' nameplate off steam locomotive

mcfcinprague

Team supported
Manchester City since 1962
The nameplate was bought at the GW Railwayana auction in Pershore.

There was a class of loco's, 'B17', some of which were named after football clubs.

Our loco was number 2871 under the original LNER system and was re-numbered 61671 under British Railways.

As you would expect our loco had an interesting history. Sir Nigel Gresley designed the loco and it was built in June 1937, but when Edward Thompson succeeded Gresley as Chief Mechanical Engineer of the LNER he decided to re-build some locos by increasing their boiler pressures.

Our loco was the first to be re-built, due to it entering Darlington works in need of major repairs after a connecting rod failure in November 1944. It didn't re-enter service until August 1945.

Our loco was the only one to keep it's original 4,200 gallon tender.

When it re-entered service it went into a number of trials against another not rebuilt loco and showed a 10% improvement in efficiency

Sadly the loco was withdrawn in September 1958 and scrapped. Even sadder, none of these loco types exist in preservation.

Below are some images that I hope you can see.

Apologies for the diatribe, but I was brought up in steam days and am still an enthusiast, OK, a trainspotter!, and can often be seen on Casey Lane in Crewe with my mates watching the trains go by.

Below are some images, two of a model, one of the actual nameplate and three of the actual loco.
2721.jpg

hornby-oo-lner-b17-b2-2871-manchester_360_b7e167c29c1ad8eff3a39e0dde59eade.jpg
hornby-oo-lner-b17-b2-2871-manchester_360_b7e167c29c1ad8eff3a39e0dde59eade.jpg
img-2801f24e59f27fb1afa4a27c40f7ea1d.jpg
pg4.jpg
post-5613-0-28242600-1367246120.jpg

Yep, that's me, only these days we use voice recorders not pen and paper LOL
Don't take any shit off the non-believers.

I spent many a happy hour in my teens in a farmers field at Hartford (near Northwich) where the main West Coast line crossed under the line to Chester.

That was in late 50's early 60's and there were steam locomotives on both lines, my favourite engines were the Coronation Class, absolutely beautiful to look at.

Had the pleasure a few years back of going on a steam trip from Wilmslow to Scarborough that was hauled by the Duchess of Sutherland - what a thrill.

Still got my Ian Allen loco-spotters club badge.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.