‘Burn a Koran Day’

BimboBob said:
Wow. It really kicked off for a bit didn't it. Sorry i missed it but i was out. Now...where were we?

Oh yes, book burning.

I abhor the burning of any book but i think this has gone a bit over the top. It's a book. That's all. Made of paper. With print on it. There might be some lovely pictures in it. Their might not be. It could have a forward in it. There will definitely be chapters. But that's it. A book.

This has been blown out of all proportion and ALL sides should be told to shut up. If the looney bloke with the comedy name wants to burn a book, let him. He lives in a free country.

A while ago some other nutter clergy type Americans decided they wanted to burn a few bibles. Versions they didn't agree with. And then have a BBQ after. I don't remember the whole world going mental over that.

Last year the Americans destroyed some bibles in Afghanistan. Queue the world going mental...oh wait...it didn't happen. How weird.

In the early 80's hundreds of copies of the New Testament were ceremonially burnt by Orthodox Jews in Jerusalem. Cue the whole world in outrage...oh wait.Silence.

Oh wait...it's the Qur'an. He must be stopped. It's an outrage...etc etc

Bloody religion.

It's because it's Islam.

Now, before i get wrongly labelled, there are a few reasons why I think this.

1) Islam is around 500-700 years younger than Christianity. Think of what Christianity was like 6 centuries ago.
2) For the most part the "Islamic World" has isolated itself from much of the rest of the world (and one could argue that part of this is through external forces aswell). It hasn't gone through its own Enlightenment. "The West" would be very similar today had Christianity not been dragged kicking and screaming into a more civlised age.

Islam needs to be desensitized to outsight views. It needs to get to a point where seeing someone burning a Quran in their own country, let alone some backwater town in a country half the world away, is not met with angry mobs.
The Indonsesia President has said that the burning of the Quran is a threat to world peace. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gcGFTHhp24yUZ3mMZOdlPaCH1ogA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... dlPaCH1ogA</a> It probably is but it is only a threat to peace because Muslims makes it so.

As I said before, I abhor book burning and wouldn't do it myself out of principle. However, I think that the Pastor, even if his reasons are stupid, should probably had gone ahead with it for the simple reason that it's not a good idea to bow down whenever an angry mob appears. It's a bad precedent to set.

With all that said, Islam, for a time, was quite a peaceful religion. The Islamic world was infact a big contributer to philosophy, art, literature and even science. They simply HAVE to at least get back to that. And that responsibility should fall on Muslims themselves. I don't think we see enough of this tho, on the contrary we see more moderate Muslims making excuses and passing the book ("they're not real Muslims"). It's obvious that "The West" cannot reform Islam, as the very notion is seen as an attack. Reform (or atleast peaceful reform) has to come from within.

ElanJo said:
It's because it's Islam.

Now, before i get wrongly labelled, there are a few reasons why I think this.

1) Islam is around 500-700 years younger than Christianity. Think of what Christianity was like 6 centuries ago.
2) For the most part the "Islamic World" has isolated itself from much of the rest of the world (and one could argue that part of this is through external forces aswell). It hasn't gone through its own Enlightenment. "The West" would be very similar today had Christianity not been dragged kicking and screaming into a more civlised age.

Islam needs to be desensitized to outsight views. It needs to get to a point where seeing someone burning a Quran in their own country, let alone some backwater town in a country half the world away, is not met with angry mobs.
The Indonsesia President has said that the burning of the Quran is a threat to world peace. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gcGFTHhp24yUZ3mMZOdlPaCH1ogA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... dlPaCH1ogA</a> It probably is but it is only a threat to peace because Muslims makes it so.

As I said before, I abhor book burning and wouldn't do it myself out of principle. However, I think that the Pastor, even if his reasons are stupid, should probably had gone ahead with it for the simple reason that it's not a good idea to bow down whenever an angry mob appears. It's a bad precedent to set.

With all that said, Islam, for a time, was quite a peaceful religion. The Islamic world was infact a big contributer to philosophy, art, literature and even science. They simply HAVE to at least get back to that. And that responsibility should fall on Muslims themselves. I don't think we see enough of this tho, on the contrary we see more moderate Muslims making excuses and passing the book ("they're not real Muslims"). It's obvious that "The West" cannot reform Islam, as the very notion is seen as an attack. Reform (or atleast peaceful reform) has to come from within.

I completely agree with you fella, but you've got balls of steel to post that on here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.