0.9 reoccuring = 1

zangatangring said:
BlueSam said:
I do know about asymptotes, I really do get what you mean but when you are talking about inifinites I don't think you can say that it definitely equals 1. Asymptotes just deal with infinites too. I think you are right for every model we have to explain it. but I still think of 1 as a pure concept which can't be touched by any recurring 9 and I think of 0.9r as another concept too.

It does. It definitely equals 1. I also agree that 0.9r and 1 are completely different concepts. Hence, that is why the are expressed differently. All I'm saying is that they represent the same value. I.E. you have 0.9r heads, you have 0.9r brains. 0.9r doesn't equal 1 in terms of expression but they represent the same value. That is mathematical fact.

right yes I can go with this. For all intents and purposes they are the same thing and it will work under all mathematical models. But blah haziness

I'm going to use the original post as a chat up line around town tomorrow night.
With gusset-soaking lyrics like that, I'll struggle to fight the hos off with a shitty stick.

BlueSam said:
zangatangring said:
BlueSam said:
I do know about asymptotes, I really do get what you mean but when you are talking about inifinites I don't think you can say that it definitely equals 1. Asymptotes just deal with infinites too. I think you are right for every model we have to explain it. but I still think of 1 as a pure concept which can't be touched by any recurring 9 and I think of 0.9r as another concept too.

It does. It definitely equals 1. I also agree that 0.9r and 1 are completely different concepts. Hence, that is why the are expressed differently. All I'm saying is that they represent the same value. I.E. you have 0.9r heads, you have 0.9r brains. 0.9r doesn't equal 1 in terms of expression but they represent the same value. That is mathematical fact.

right yes I can go with this. For all intents and purposes they are the same thing and it will work under all mathematical models. But blah haziness

Ah yes, a more cleverer way of putting it.

LongsightM13 said:
I'm going to use the original post as a chat up line around town tomorrow night.
With gusset-soaking lyrics like that, I'll struggle to fight the hos off with a shitty stick.

I was thinking about writing a ballad based around it, it's a sure fire number 1. Now when I say 1...

OH!

Another problem that caught my eye was that if, say, someone was completely randomly punching letters on a keyboard for an infinite length of time, they'd almost surely (a mathematical phrase that basically means 'definitely') type out any given text, such as this post.

0.9 recurring isn't 1. if it was, there would be no need for the 9 to keep recurring. the 0.8 recurring would be nine. You'd get so far down as to say 0=0.1 when it doesnt, as 0 is bound by it's nothingess.

gaudinho's stolen car said:
LongsightM13 said:

I was thinking about writing a ballad based around it, it's a sure fire number 1. Now when I say 1...
I'm also going to stroll into Poundland, buy something, slap 99p on the counter and tell the woman to 'keep the change' before winking at her and strutting out nonchalantly, secure in the knowledge that bluemoon maths club has turned me into a stone cold Mac Daddy packing a hard yard in my strides ...

Barman says "I don't serve neutrinos in here"

Two neutrinos walk into a bar.

zangatangring said:
OH!

Another problem that caught my eye was that if, say, someone was completely randomly punching letters on a keyboard for an infinite length of time, they'd almost surely (a mathematical phrase that basically means 'definitely') type out any given text, such as this post.

doesnt everyone know this as the infinite monkeys typing Shakespeare?

So now we have cleared all this jazz up about 0.9 recurring..

What's pi?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.