0.9 reoccuring = 1

zangatangring

Angriest, embarassed, saddest and dismayed i've been ever (I think). How stupid does the vast majority of a mathematics faculty at a school have to be to deny this?!?!?!?

Had a confrontation with a Chemistry teacher. He was being so condescending saying that 0.9 reoccuring is less than 1 and kept on reiterating that he has a phd in quantum mechanics so he must know everything. Parents, if you have a child who is a white male, the world is their oyster. People can be so stupid. How can this guy get a head of science job?!?!?

Anyways this is the proof he denies that i showed him.

if 0.(9) = 0.9 reoccuring

Consider 0.(9) and assume it is indeed less than one.
By observing that,
0.9 + 0.1 =1, 0.99+0.01 =1, 0.999+0.001 = 1 and so on...

That implies that 0.(9) + 0.(0)1 = 1.

However, the expression 0.(0)1 = 0 because it implies that there exist a finitely bound decimal place where you can 'place' the one. However, since there is an infinite amount of 0's there exists no bound for the 1 to be 'placed' hence,
0.(0)1 = 0.(0)= 0.
So, 0.(9) + 0 =1.

Also, has anyone here ever had an encounter where someone is being so stupid, condescending and arrogant especially while abusing their authority or 'position'?

Edit: oh yeah, I'm the laughing stock of this year. That's why i'm angry etc. Deliberately made to be humiliated.

gaudinho's stolen car said:
I'm always having this argument, it's amazing to me that anyone can imagine that there could be anything more important.

Lol, yeah, yeah i know. Sad life, huh? A while ago, I was sure that 99% of the people i knew were more fortunate than me. However, in realising that I complain wildly about petty things like this, I guess it aint so bad.

Reoccuring???

Try recurring mate.

BTW you're spot on.

Oh and another proof, which people find easier to understand is that if you accept that one third is 0.3recurring then three thirds is a whole = 1, and also 0.9recurring because it's 3 times one third.

;-)

A simpler explanation is that

1/9 = 0.111111......

so 1/9 x 9 = 0.9999.......

But 1/9 x 9 obviously also equals 9/9 or 1.

A bit more complicated, but still not really, is to call 0.999...., x.

x = 0.99999.....

10x = 9.9999999....

10x - x = 9x or 9.9999... - 0.999.... = 9

So, 9x = 9

and

x = 1

even though it started off as 0.9999....

1.618034 said:
Reoccuring???

Try recurring mate.

BTW you're spot on.

Oh and another proof, which people find easier to understand is that if you accept that one third is 0.3recurring then three thirds is a whole = 1, and also 0.9recurring because it's 3 times one third.

;-)
Yeah come back at him with that.

The ****<br /><br />-- Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:41 pm --<br /><br />
1.618034 said:
Reoccuring???

Try recurring mate.

BTW you're spot on.

;-)
Yeah come back at him with that.

The ****

1.618034 said:
Reoccuring???

Try recurring mate.

BTW you're spot on.

;-)

Yeah, resorted to all sorts of proofs! I remember working it out I did the 1/3 proof when I was 13 and virtually every single teacher said 0.(3) is an approximation of 1/3. How stupid is that?!?!?!?

The head of mathematics said it was wrong. how stupid is this.... 0.(9) may be proved to equal 1 but 1 may not be shown to equal 0.(9) (even though my proof obviously logically contradicted this)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.