1/09/08 A special day.

BlueMoonRisin’

It's coming up to 5 years since ADUG turned up and bought the club lock stock and barrel from Thaksin Shinawatra turning us into "the richest club in the world"! On the same day, we signed Robinho from the clutches of Chelsea, Robinho may of been a flop,but what a statement of intent!.

I was on holiday at the time in Ross on Wye doing a spot of Barbel fishing that day on 1st of September 2008. I was listening to Talk Sport on my radio on a lovely late summers day, fishing peacefuly by the river. Suddenly they announced That ADUG, the worlds richest group of investors had just bought my beloved Manchester City, and that they were worth over 500 billion quid! A couple of my blue mates were fishing on the river and I yelped "quick lads come and listen to this!. We sat there gobsmacked listening to the radio and could hardly take in what was happening, the radio phone in was mental for hours, and the newspapers headlines were all about us. We had a good drink that night on the town ribbing our rag mates that we had struck gold!

Where were you on the day ADUG bought us and what are your memories at the time. ?

Sorted. I had driven down to Northampton, where I was working at the time. Got there around 9am and not a whisper. Went into a 2 hour meeting at 10am and we were waiting for someone else (name of Paul) to come in. The Project Manager asked if Paul was coming and someone said "I doubt it. He's just found out his team have been taken over by Arab billionaires!".

So I asked "Who does he support?" and the reply came back "Manchester City". "What! Did you say the City have been taken over by Arab billionaires?" said I. "Yes, They're all talking about it out there and no one is working. Why do you ask?"

That was the longest two hours of my life.

In the pub with the lads I was staying with that night and all you could hear was people talking about City. It was awesome.

I was on my way up to Glasgow on that day. I'd had a stupidly early start as I had to be in the office there by 10am, so I'd driven to Piccadilly station, got the first train to Preston, where I had a short wait for the train up to Glasgow. During that wait, the WH Smith on the platform was setting out the papers and every single one of them had a photo of Robinho and Sulaiman Al-Fahim and headlines about how we'd swooped in and snatched Robinho from Chelsea's clutches. I was so busy reading one of the articles, I nearly missed my train!

I struggled to take it all in, really. It was about quarter to seven in the morning and I was still a bit groggy from the early start. Even when my son phoned me a couple of hours later, all excited, saying, "We've signed Robinho!!", it didn't really hit me. And when I got to the office, it was all everyone was talking about. It was all a bit surreal.

Was on my way to work when my dad text me. He told me that we had been taken over and we were signing berbatov. I thought he was taking the piss until I got in to work and then I realised something seriously big was happening. That night was unbelievable when we signed Robinho.

I had my pessimistic head on as soon as it was announced. 'They'll find something that stops them during due diligence', I thought. 'Too good to be true', I thought. Then pace gathered about Berbatov. Hughes was pictured with a big fucking grin on his face as if he knew what was going on. Then it became more and more real and talksport started talking about how serious the takeover was, who Mansour was and how this won't be a flash-in-the-pan kind of ownership. All that was enough to keep me buzzing, but had fuck all in comparison to what happened from 10pm onwards.

Never in a million years did I think we would ever become the club we are now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.