1/09/08 A special day.

Pigeonho said:
I had my pessimistic head on as soon as it was announced. 'They'll find something that stops them during due diligence', I thought. 'Too good to be true', I thought. Then pace gathered about Berbatov. Hughes was pictured with a big fucking grin on his face as if he knew what was going on. Then it became more and more real and talksport started talking about how serious the takeover was, who Mansour was and how this won't be a flash-in-the-pan kind of ownership. All that was enough to keep me buzzing, but had fuck all in comparison to what happened from 10pm onwards.

Never in a million years did I think we would ever become the club we are now.
Was that the day you decided to become a City fan? ;-)

Ducado said:
Pigeonho said:
I had my pessimistic head on as soon as it was announced. 'They'll find something that stops them during due diligence', I thought. 'Too good to be true', I thought. Then pace gathered about Berbatov. Hughes was pictured with a big fucking grin on his face as if he knew what was going on. Then it became more and more real and talksport started talking about how serious the takeover was, who Mansour was and how this won't be a flash-in-the-pan kind of ownership. All that was enough to keep me buzzing, but had fuck all in comparison to what happened from 10pm onwards.

Was that the day you decided to become a City fan? ;-)
I remember it fondly, my old united shirt folded away neatly in my draw - saved for the day city become shit again. ;-)

Pigeonho said:

who did? great though innit. last night event was so slick so professional and nowadays so city.

the amatures have left the building.

That Summer started off shit. We lost 8-1 to Boro, United won the Prem and CL, Sven was sacked and we brought in the Rag, Hughes, to manage us. I wasn't very happy with football related things to be honest. Then when coming back off holiday I had to go to hospital because I had an ear infection so bad that I had to be put on a drip for 48 hours due to my ear spitting puss out and the whole right side of my head swelling up. I was in hospital for the first game of the season against West Ham. Gutted!

Then on 28th August we re-signed Shaun Wright-Phillips. I was buzzing about that. Things were looking up. Then on a trip back to the hospital on 1st September I had the radio on and just as I was parking up I heard a little snippet on the radio (I wasn't even really paying attention to it, I couldn't hear out of my right ear as it was), I caught the words "Manchester City" "whirlwind" "Arab Sheikh".

Not realising that we'd actually been taken over I sat in the hospital for three hours before finding out. The drive home was funny, flicking through all the radio stations and hearing nowt, I was getting rather frustrated. When I got home it was unbelievable. Sky Sports News on and I was jumping around the living room like I'd won the Lottery! Glued to SSN all night as we signed Robinho. Fair enough he wasn't a very good player, if we signed someone of his quality now he'd just be a squad player but in 2008 that was like what us landing Messi would be like now.

I don't think I slept that night. Buzzing!

In my City supporting days we've never been really shit. Even when we were doing really shit-ly we had a really likeable and decent side. Weaver Weikens Morrison Horlock Goater Dickov, were all decent enough players and I always enjoyed going to watch City even if it was against Lincoln or Wrexham, even if Stockport were a division above us. So it's not like we've been really hard done to over the years. Yeah we went 35 years without winning a trophy, but Rochdale went 36 years playing in the fourth division year-after-year and still fans turned up to watch them - that's loyalty!

But the takeover was other planet sort of stuff. Beyond anyone's wildest dreams! The (almost) five years have been great. From finishing 10th and getting to the quarter-final of the UEFA Cup; to finishing 5th and getting to the semi-final of the FL Cup; to finishing 3rd, qualifying for the CL and winning the FA Cup; to winning the Premier League, qualifying for the CL as champions and getting to the semi-final of the FL Cup; and even last season finishing second, qualifying for the CL, beating United in Ferguson's last ever derby and getting to the FA Cup final (shit result, typical City has not left us! but a top day out, the trip home was a top laugh and is exactly why being a City fan is great!)...and all this in just the first five years. The first five years were always going to be the most modest as we built from being a bang average mid-table club. Imagine what the next five years will bring as we build from being a fairly good title challenging club...

The future's bright, the future's BLUE!

I went to bed, woke up and we'd bought Robinho. Had just started my last year of Sixth Form, so was 17. The head of Sixth Form was a rag and a seasonticket holder, but let any City fan skip first class that day to sit and watch SSN on the TV in the communal area. There was only 6 of us anyway!

I'd just left the office driving a not really too arsed rag bird to some prearranged interviews we had booked when the news broke on TS.

We had 5 mins spare and dropped into my house on the way to have a look at SSN.

15 mins later she was ringing up people to cancel as I was going nowhere apart from taking her home...... And no I didn't celebrate like that with her ;)

It was a dream of a day with bacon almost having to kidnapping berbatov and paying ovet the odds for him and then robinhio joining late on.

A few years later our owners have learned that footie ownership isn't a piece of piss and we are now certainly one of the 3 main players in England just waiting for the European break through.

Seems a world away from travelling to Halifax and Shrewsbury.

Scream if you want to go faster.

leopold said:
I was on my way up to Glasgow on that day. I'd had a stupidly early start as I had to be in the office there by 10am, so I'd driven to Piccadilly station, got the first train to Preston, where I had a short wait for the train up to Glasgow. During that wait, the WH Smith on the platform was setting out the papers and every single one of them had a photo of Robinho and Sulaiman Al-Fahim and headlines about how we'd swooped in and snatched Robinho from Chelsea's clutches. I was so busy reading one of the articles, I nearly missed my train!

I struggled to take it all in, really. It was about quarter to seven in the morning and I was still a bit groggy from the early start. Even when my son phoned me a couple of hours later, all excited, saying, "We've signed Robinho!!", it didn't really hit me. And when I got to the office, it was all everyone was talking about. It was all a bit surreal.
That must have been on the next day as the news about the takeover didn't break until just after 10am and we didn't sign Robinho until very late.

I was on my way home from a wedding at Epson Downs racecourse in Surrey.

Got a text not far from home "Hang on to your hats-We are richer than you will ever believe,the Arabs have taken us over"

I nearly fucking crashed the car!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.