10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he was decent today. Another missed opportunity in front of goal, but otherwise sound performance in my book. He may not be roasting fullbacks and dazzling with wonder goals, but he retains possession, moves the ball forward and play doesn’t tend to break down when it’s at his feet. More to come.
I thought first half he was very average but played better 2nd half. I think I get frustrated watching him on the left because we look unbalanced and I think Foden is very wasted doing the role of a dog chasing lost causes and battling big centre backs with his back to goal. Where as with Foden left and Sterling right we can really stretch the pitch again and beat defenders on the outside.

With Jack out on the left it’s stop and come back again on repeat. You could say Mahrez does similar on the right but he’s got a wand of a left foot for whipping crosses in or he’s very good at creating half a yard for a shot. Grealish hasn’t shown either of those abilities yet. No doubting he’s a great talent and as pointed out lots of players have taken a year to settle properly into this great side. Hopefully the same happens with Jack but if he doesn’t get shifted inside I struggle to see it happening as stuck out on the left just doesn’t look great for him.

But why can’t we comment on his bang average to below par form now?

Why do we all have to wait 12 months before we’re allowed to even pass comment on whether he’s been worth signing or not thus far?

You do realise most posters on here laying down this idea are the same laughing their bollocks off at Sancho et al failing at other clubs months into their tenure?

And I still don’t understand what’s so wrong with some to expect, actually, for once we get a handful of class games in Pep’s first year as a signing. At 26, I’d expect it.
So your a Jack hater too !
Seriously.....stop talking sense TG :)

Dislike him both as a footballer and as a human being. Got Man U written all over him. But I am not a City fan so maybe out of line airing my opinion on him (or any of your other players I don't have a stellar opinion of and there are a few, albeit the minority).

I thought first half he was very average but played better 2nd half. I think I get frustrated watching him on the left because we look unbalanced and I think Foden is very wasted doing the role of a dog chasing lost causes and battling big centre backs with his back to goal. Where as with Foden left and Sterling right we can really stretch the pitch again and beat defenders on the outside.

With Jack out on the left it’s stop and come back again on repeat. You could say Mahrez does similar on the right but he’s got a wand of a left foot for whipping crosses in or he’s very good at creating half a yard for a shot. Grealish hasn’t shown either of those abilities yet. No doubting he’s a great talent and as pointed out lots of players have taken a year to settle properly into this great side. Hopefully the same happens with Jack but if he doesn’t get shifted inside I struggle to see it happening as stuck out on the left just doesn’t look great for him.
I can empathise with your frustrations, I’m pretty sure we all can. Every season Pep’s teams always seem to have a player who’s somewhat carried, normally in their first season and still getting acclimatised. It makes the dominance all the more impressive.

There’ll be a player next year that comes in, with qualities that Pep values, and is thrown into the midst of the well oiled machine. They’ll struggle and we’ll all question it, but we should by now trust in the track record that Pep’s got behind him.

To your point about Grealish not showing crossing ability or ability to create a half yard for the shot; I’d agree on the second point, Grealish seems more comfortable weaving his way out of a tight spot and recycling. I’m hoping that will change once he’s up to speed.

I feel it’s a little harsh to say he hasn’t shown crossing ability - he put in a peach of a ball across the 6 yard box yesterday, but (as was the case on 3 occasions, yesterday alone) we had no-one there to finish it off.

Ugh, this thread is a tad toxic.

Jack will be fine, he’s just not a left winger.
I hope he does come good but to say he isn’t a left winger is completely false. He plays there for England and played most his football there for villa. Someone before even posted a heat map on this thread to show he is operating in the same areas as he did for villa at city.

For me his work rate and fitness are not good enough to play cm for us not to mention he barely has played there in his career. I very much see him as a right footed mahrez in style

I hope he does come good but to say he isn’t a left winger is completely false. He plays there for England and played most his football there for villa. Someone before even posted a heat map on this thread to show he is operating in the same areas as he did for villa at city.

For me his work rate and fitness are not good enough to play cm for us not to mention he barely has played there in his career. I very much see him as a right footed mahrez in style

Pep want to use him in midfield role sometimes in future but because midfield is stacked atm, he play on the wing to learn and adapt city style for mean time.

Pep want to use him in midfield role sometimes in future but because midfield is stacked atm, he play on the wing to learn and adapt city style for mean time.
I don’t believe that to be true as when he has the opportunity to do so he favours playing foden, kdb, gundogan, bernardo ahead of him. Remember in one game in particular he kept jack wide left and brought foden on to play cm which surprised me at the time as until then foden was almost always used either false 9 or lw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.