10 men, we've only got 10 men

lita69

After yesterdays magnificent never say die attitude it got me reliving fond memories of our trip to Whitehart Lane back in 2004. I was there in the City end with a smallish following of blues (by our standards) to see one of the all time great comebacks that evening. 3-0 down at halftime and as the teams are leaving the pitch Joey Barton does what he's good at and get's sent off reducing us to 10 men.

As I have relatives down there who are Spurs fans and were in the Spurs end, I got the gloating, piss taking texts coming through. I was staying overnight with them and at that moment I actually started to contemplate getting the train home later instead. After the game I happily met up with them back at their place and spent the whole evening singing "10 men, we only had 10 men". Don't think there'll ever be a 10 man comeback that gets anywhere near what we did that night, absolutely magnificent.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e58rdYk1rPE[/youtube]

I was visiting my grandad in hospital that night. Turned the radio on in the car and heard we were three nil down.

I turned off the radio and left it at that. My friend called me about forty minutes later screaming telling me we had made it 3-3. At this point I didn't dare turn the radio on. I got a call ten minutes later and I just knew what it was going to be. The call didn't make much sense it was just my mate going absolutely mental.

The best comeback of all time.

MCFC BOB said:
davymcfc said:
I'm sure the Liverpool fans that were there in Istanbul would disagree.
They'd be wrong. To turn round the game within 45 minutes with less men is more impressive than drawing the game with equal players regardless of the occasion.

MCFC BOB said:
davymcfc said:

While I agree the red dippers' comeback in Istanbul was great, don't forget, they had 11 men for the whole game.

Also, they only made it 3-3, whereas we won it in the 90 minutes.

Oh I haven't forgotten that they had eleven men.

But maybe you two shouldn't forget that Liverpool had to keep their nerve in the biggest game in the European footballing calendar, against arguably the best team in the world at the time, and come back from three goals down. You can't say "regardless of the occasion" because the occasion has an impact on the thought processes of some players and therefore the performance levels of some players.

citykev28 said:
MCFC BOB said:
davymcfc said:
They'd be wrong. To turn round the game within 45 minutes with less men is more impressive than drawing the game with equal players regardless of the occasion.

Apples and oranges, Spurs are mediocre at best in comparison to the side Liverpool faced in Istanbul. Either way great great performance from the boys though.

MCFC BOB said:
davymcfc said:
I'm sure they would. That will go down in history as more important. However we were down to ten men, we had Anelka go off injured in the first half and let's not forget how cripplingly shit we were back then. Was an incredible achievement to win that match. I won't what odds you would have got at half time.

I remember it well, purely because, for me , it was one of those ' the truth is stranger than fiction' moments, half-time, 3-0 down, Barton sent off, my Mrs came in and asked me if I was still watching the second half (some shite she wanted to watch the other side).

Don't ask me why, how, or whatever, but I replied to her " Yes, I honestly think we're still going to win this", because for some unknown reason I just felt we would, I had total belief in that, she gave me that 'common sense' look and went upstairs, she came down just in time to see Mackens firmly placed header and actually cheered for us, oh and Sun's face at the end lmao.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.