10 Trophies In 9 Seasons

Have we counted this beauty in our list of pots won previously? And who'd have thought it - City won the "Spinning Jenny" trophy and nobody knew (except Peter, the sly fox):
manchester-city-chairman-peter-swales-circa-1985-picture-id1065923084

Stand corrected on this. Feel free.

With the CL, the PL, and the FA Cup still to play for, there’s a strong possibility City could add to that trophy list.

Also. Finishing runners up twice in the PL, losing an FA Cup Final(arrrgh!), and losing 2 Community Shield finals.

PL Champions
  • 2011/12
  • 2013/14
  • 2017/18
FA Cup
League Cup
Community Shied
Obviously I’d love City to retain the PL title more than any thing, and to finally win the CL, but I really want City to win the FA Cup again. Apart from only winning it once in 2011 during this successful era, winning it this season would go some way to erasing that ‘still painful day and loss’ to Wigan.

Don’t want to burst your bubble but the charity shield isn’t a trophy.

Nobody other than social media burks would claim the community shield as a major trophy, it has zero value and that can be seen when you look at the lineups teams field. We didn't even bother asking half our team to come back to pre season in time for it this year. That's how highly it's regarded. It's a money making friendly and nothing more. It's not like we need to pad out the stats anyway

Nobody other than Jose Mourinho would claim the community shield as a major trophy, it has zero value and that can be seen when you look at the lineups teams field. We didn't even bother asking half our team to come back to pre season in time for it this year. That's how highly it's regarded. It's a money making friendly and nothing more. It's not like we need to pad out the stats anyway
Edited for accuracy

No idea if this has been mentioned over the previous 9 pages, but one thing that is unique about City's success is that it has been achieved with 3 different managers with no previous connections to the club.
Look at Everton - the 80's all under Kendall, Clough and his Forest side and Ipswich under Bobby Robson..... Villa under Saunders (although Barton won the Euro Cup), Arsenal under Wenger, and lastly the rags under bacon face. All successful clubs under one dynasty. Liverpool are a different picture with Shankly / Paisley / Fagan / Dalgliesh - but each successor to Shankly came through within the club and there was continuity.
At City it has been Manchini, Pellegrini and Guardiola knocking off success after success with their own back room boys (Brian Kidd apart).
Maybe Chelsea should be included in that but they haven't (IMHO) been as dominant trophy wise as we have been, picking up the odd title here, odd FA Cup there and of course the one Champs League title - with different managers. And a lot of them - some not winning anything!

In order to have won the Community Shield that you'd have bitten my hand off for - we'd have had to have won a meaningful trophy (league or FA Cup)

Just saying lol ;-)

no we wouldnt
if a team does the double the year before then another team is invited by the FA.

for example
United in 2010. Won neither the League or FA cup the year before (did win the EFL) but were then invited to take part in the community shield and won it.
Liverpool in 2002. Won bugger all the season before but then were invited to take part in the community shield.
Arsenal in 1999. Won bugger all the season before but then were invited to take part in the community shield and won it.
United in 1998. Won bugger all the season before but then were invited to take part in the community shield.
Newcastle in 1996. Won bugger all the season before but then were invited to take part in the community shield.
Blackburn in 1994. Won bugger all the season before but then were invited to take part in the community shield.
Everton in 1986. Won bugger all the season before but then were invited to take part in the community shield. Awarded joint winners.
Burnley and us in 1973. Both won bugger all the season before but then were invited to take part in the community shield. Burnley winners
Aston Villa and us in 1972. Both won bugger all the season before but then were invited to take part in the community shield. We won.
Leceister and Liverpool in 1971. Both Won bugger all the season before but then were invited to take part in the community shield. Leicester won.

I could go back further, but I cant be arsed.

Its why the community shield is not a real trophy

Don't get the attitude about the community shield. It's a trophy, end of discussion and I love that fact we were in it this year and hopefully next year and the year after.

It’s not a trophy, end of discussion. Doesn’t change me enjoying us play it in though.

Nobody other than social media burks would claim the community shield as a major trophy, it has zero value and that can be seen when you look at the lineups teams field. We didn't even bother asking half our team to come back to pre season in time for it this year. That's how highly it's regarded. It's a money making friendly and nothing more. It's not like we need to pad out the stats anyway
Every single club I can find apart from Juventus count the Community Shield or their country’s version of it, in their honours list. Real, Barça, Bayern, Milan, Inter, United, Liverpool, Ajax, Benfica... all count it in their honours lists.

It’s not a major trophy, but they do not dismiss it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.