100 years since equal suffrage

I know it’s a joke, but this thread is probably a good example as to why you can’t win when trying to moderate the site. Delete it and some will complain about political correctness gone mad, excessive censorship etc. Leave it and others will complain about the casual sexism and misogyny on here. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

You are right and I’m sure moderating at times isn’t easy but surely the best way to change a sexist opinion is to expose them to alternative views rather than delete their opinion and pretend it doesn’t exist? For what it’s worth, this thread is a joke and a few years ago on here, it would have just been considered as harmless banter but I suppose there’s an underlying point that could be made from watching the Jeanette Winterson lecture before on the BBC. She makes the point that it’s unacceptable that there’s only circa 200 MPs in the House of Parliament but I honestly don’t think women care about politics as much as men so equality of outcome isn’t always fair, just or desirable.

Yup that's very important history and from whence in originated.
But....
More men die from prostrate cancer than women from breast cancer.
Hmm.....
Pretty sure the average age of someone dying of prostate cancer is something like 80 though, so it's apples and oranges tbh

It coincided with working class men getting the vote too.

Not heard that mentioned though.
Not a massive surprise, since that just highlights that even when women finally got the vote, they still got it on vastly inferior terms to men. While working men over 21 were granted the right to vote, only women over 30 who owned property were given the same rights. The real victory was actually 10 years later when actual equality was achieved.

Lots of programmes on at the minute celebrating women getting the right to vote. Weird thing is, most woman I know have zero interest in politics and hardly ever vote and probably think Sajid Javid opens the batting for India. From my experience (and I accept my life experience might not be truly representative), almost all women I know would prefer to sit through an episode of Towie or Love Island than watch Question Time or Newsnight. So I suppose the question is, has equal suffrage been a progressive force for good or another example of PC gone mad?

We must know different types of women and I too know more working class men who say, what’s the point?

Lots of programmes on at the minute celebrating women getting the right to vote. Weird thing is, most woman I know have zero interest in politics and hardly ever vote and probably think Sajid Javid opens the batting for India. From my experience (and I accept my life experience might not be truly representative), almost all women I know would prefer to sit through an episode of Towie or Love Island than watch Question Time or Newsnight. So I suppose the question is, has equal suffrage been a progressive force for good or another example of PC gone mad?

giphy.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.