11 | Oleksandr Zinchenko - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was thrown into a role he hadn't really played in for us before, without big brother kev or foden alongside him to keep opposition busy, after not having played for a few games. Against PSG btw, consisting of world class players he was up against.

He did pretty damn well I would say. The guy gives it his all and is versatile enough for cover and reliable enough as a regular.

I'm always surprised by talk of seeing him sold. He is on a low wage, low fuss when not starting, has time on his contract and age on his side, and whatever we would get for him wouldn't be ebough to find a similar or capable replacement. One summer he will mive on and all the best to him, maybe even this one, but mid season with where our squad is now? Can't see it. Particularly not to fight relegation with Newcastle!

Said it for years but for me the lad is not even good enough for a runners up medal in any way shape or form.Totally out of his depth in Citys midfield and even worse as a left full back.
For those of you think he is more than good enough then our Manager thought better at half time ... but may of of us thought exactly the same before the start.
Another player who is average.

We’d gone a goal down in a game we were controlling and Pep wanted to add more of a goal threat in Jesus. His choices were to hook Zinny, Gundo, or Rodri. Wasn’t much of a decision really so to say even Pep thought he wasn’t good enough is a little bit of a stretch shall we say.

He’s a good, versatile and dependable player.

Said it for years but for me the lad is not even good enough for a runners up medal in any way shape or form.Totally out of his depth in Citys midfield and even worse as a left full back.
For those of you think he is more than good enough then our Manager thought better at half time ... but may of of us thought exactly the same before the start.

The "many of us" thinking exactly the same before the start, are the ones suffering of short memories. The lad played at a very high level last season and that was not the first time he proved over and over what good a player he is. His bad luck this season is that Cancelo somehow plays some unbelievable stuff at left back, and he needs to. Healthy competition.

I think you and the "many of us" look at Zinchenko as an individual player. Not a natural LB from origin, and still playing a midfieldrole for his national team (where he performs outstanding as well, without presenting himself to other team members as being a prick because he plays in one of the best teams in Europe). I get it.

I try to look at the bigger picture without comparing him to Cancelo. How does the team and moreso the players around him perform when he plays. Well, he makes that left side tick. He easily solves problems created by other due to his reading of the game and moreso his unbelievable and much underrated technical skills. He knows exactly what to do when he finds himself in another position, left or right. And no-one can doubt his fighting spirit. He is a perfect Pep-player.

Now, there's Mendy (in jail), there's Ake, and there's this season wonderboy Cancelo. All able to play at LB. All totally different players. And the team or moreso the left side of the team plays different whoever starts. That's on Pep. From what I see (and maybe "many of us" who are with me on this) aknowledge that whenever Zinchenko plays, we do great. As for now, he needs to accept Cancelo is simply too good to sub.
Yesterday he was subbed due to the fact that he is not able to play 90 minutes at a high level because he hasn't played a lot. And the scoreline needed the change. So easy to understand, even by you and "the many of us".

I thought he did pretty well in a midfield role he has not played in often for the club considering the standard of opposition. He was maybe a bit over enthusiastic with his pressing going very far forward but did well and did not look out of place.
I think he has shown he can do a decent job as an 8 which is great as it allows us to maybe rest KdB and Gundo and let this lad cover. He will get better as he plays more games in that role.
It is disappointing that some people are being negative about him after a decent performance against one of the most talented teams in Europe.

Technically gifted, always gives 100%, committed, can play in different positions, fits our style of play, model pro, basically he's a managers dream.

Also Captain of his country, and by miles their best performer in the last Euros where he was very impressive in all their games and he's not even 25 yet. His best years are ahead of him.

We are blessed with a number of world class players - his versatility means he can be used to cover in a number of positions without the overall quality of the team being reduced.

Name me another player who could do what Zin can??

We'd be mad to sell him.

Half a yard more pace (and yes that can be worked on) and this lad is a phenomenal player.

Lorenzo Buenaventura is pretty big on this, he talks about it in Pep Confidential, but they'd have been trying to make him faster for 4 years. He's unlikely to make any gains in that area now.

Bollox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.