12/11/1975

crazyg

For those of you of a certain age, you were probably looking forward to the League Cup match later that evening v the rags.

Unfortunately, due to the diligence of Martin Buchan (may his name forever be used as a curse), the game will always be remembered, not for the 4-0 victory of blue over the dark side, but the injury sustained by Colin (the King) Bell following a "tackle" made by the aforementioned. This, effectively, ended his career.

This date is forever engraved in my heart, and still brings a lump to my throat just thinking about it.

Does anyone else have similar feelings?

That game was just over two months before my first ever City game so was robbed of seeing the great man in full flow by it.

Yes I was there and at the time we all knew it was a bad injury as the game was held up for several minutes,but no-one expected the severity of the injury.
In those days we didn`t have the luxury of the world wide web etc,so the only info we got was from next days papers,as very little was known from the TV that night as only the highlights were shown.
No doubt about it both City and England were robbed of and IMO the greatest footballer I have ever seen.He would undoubtedly have become Englands Captain and gained 100+ caps.
For me his only weakness was tackling,but all the other attributes he possessed,heading,shooting,stamina,passing,far outweighed his weakness.
Its the only time I have been emotional at a football match,when King Colin made his return on Boxing Day against his near home team,Newcastle.When he came on at half time,I have never ever witnessed such a crowd reaction and thanks must also be given to those wonderful Newcastle fans in the Kippax who chanted his name also.
I saw old and young people actually crying and I tried to hide my emotions,but a few tears did appear and something I am not ashamed to admit.
King Colin earned that name through respect from footballers and fans alike,due to his manner and dignity.He hated the limelight and always seemed nervous when giving a tv interview.The man was a class act and I am proud to have witnessed his ability for our Club.

crazyg said:
For those of you of a certain age, you were probably looking forward to the League Cup match later that evening v the rags.

Unfortunately, due to the diligence of Martin Buchan (may his name forever be used as a curse), the game will always be remembered, not for the 4-0 victory of blue over the dark side, but the injury sustained by Colin (the King) Bell following a "tackle" made by the aforementioned. This, effectively, ended his career.

This date is forever engraved in my heart, and still brings a lump to my throat just thinking about it.

Does anyone else have similar feelings?
I was sat about 20 feet from where it happened, only 13, and didn't really think too much of it, though it was obviously a bad injury, little did we know just how bad.

I'm probably in that footage as we were right at the front of the Platt Lane that night, just to the right of the goal. Losing The King was the equivalent of losing Magic Dave these days but we all assumed he'd be OK. Took the gloss off what was otherwise a fantastic night, going 2 up after a few minutes.

Yes I was on the kippax that night with this nurse from the M R I,we were packed in like sardines.Was it 39 years ago,unbelievable.Remember after the match we went for a drink in the White Horse on Wilmslow rd.

Prestwich_Blue said:
I'm probably in that footage as we were right at the front of the Platt Lane that night, just to the right of the goal. Losing The King was the equivalent of losing Magic Dave these days but we all assumed he'd be OK. Took the gloss off what was otherwise a fantastic night, going 2 up after a few minutes.

Were you the fucker selling the Bovrils ???

There was a bus strike that night, maybe just in South Manchester, as I got a bus into town, but then had to walk from Greengate to Maine Road.
There were big groups of both sets of fans walking to the ground and there was a tense atmosphere on Princess Parkway.
I remember the away section emptying early in the second half (Its only 2v0, its only 3v0, Its only 4v0 was not the song then) and worried that they would all be hanging around after the game on the walk back to town.
It seemed like they all went home as the walk back to town passed without incident, well at least I think so.
Anorak stat from the League Cup was we played teams beginning with M or N.
NORWICH 2V2, 1V1, 6V2 Monday night at Stamford Bridge
FOREST 2V1
UTD 4V0
MANSFIELD 4V2 They had a great following, but alot of Leeds scarfs
BORO 0V1 Got our coach bricked, 4v0
NEWCASTLE 2V1 Tueart Worldy.

I was so lucky to see 6 years of the King and if he would have stayed fit he would have played 100 times for England and possibly been Captain.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.