12/11/1975

mcfcirlam said:
There was a bus strike that night, maybe just in South Manchester, as I got a bus into town, but then had to walk from Greengate to Maine Road.

That's right, I lived in Sale then and got the train to Oxford Road and walked up Cambridge St and Lloyd St to the ground.

Thrashing that lot 4-0 was a real buzz at the time as we didn't know how serious was the injury to Bell. In retrospect that obviously took some of the gloss away. Looking at the vid again I didn't realise how close to the penalty area it happened, I was in the North stand.

oakiecokie said:
Yes I was there and at the time we all knew it was a bad injury as the game was held up for several minutes,but no-one expected the severity of the injury.
In those days we didn`t have the luxury of the world wide web etc,so the only info we got was from next days papers,as very little was known from the TV that night as only the highlights were shown.
No doubt about it both City and England were robbed of and IMO the greatest footballer I have ever seen.He would undoubtedly have become Englands Captain and gained 100+ caps.
For me his only weakness was tackling,but all the other attributes he possessed,heading,shooting,stamina,passing,far outweighed his weakness.
Its the only time I have been emotional at a football match,when King Colin made his return on Boxing Day against his near home team,Newcastle.When he came on at half time,I have never ever witnessed such a crowd reaction and thanks must also be given to those wonderful Newcastle fans in the Kippax who chanted his name also.
I saw old and young people actually crying and I tried to hide my emotions,but a few tears did appear and something I am not ashamed to admit.
King Colin earned that name through respect from footballers and fans alike,due to his manner and dignity.He hated the limelight and always seemed nervous when giving a tv interview.The man was a class act and I am proud to have witnessed his ability for our Club.
I agree with everything you have said in this post. Ding Dongs Return, a crowd reaction to one player, that I witnessed that day will never be repeated anywhere. Reading your post sent a shiver through my body. King Colin, the greatest.

totallywired said:
oakiecokie said:
Yes I was there and at the time we all knew it was a bad injury as the game was held up for several minutes,but no-one expected the severity of the injury.
In those days we didn`t have the luxury of the world wide web etc,so the only info we got was from next days papers,as very little was known from the TV that night as only the highlights were shown.
No doubt about it both City and England were robbed of and IMO the greatest footballer I have ever seen.He would undoubtedly have become Englands Captain and gained 100+ caps.
For me his only weakness was tackling,but all the other attributes he possessed,heading,shooting,stamina,passing,far outweighed his weakness.
Its the only time I have been emotional at a football match,when King Colin made his return on Boxing Day against his near home team,Newcastle.When he came on at half time,I have never ever witnessed such a crowd reaction and thanks must also be given to those wonderful Newcastle fans in the Kippax who chanted his name also.
I saw old and young people actually crying and I tried to hide my emotions,but a few tears did appear and something I am not ashamed to admit.
King Colin earned that name through respect from footballers and fans alike,due to his manner and dignity.He hated the limelight and always seemed nervous when giving a tv interview.The man was a class act and I am proud to have witnessed his ability for our Club.
I agree with everything you have said in this post. Ding Dongs Return, a crowd reaction to one player, that I witnessed that day will never be repeated anywhere. Reading your post sent a shiver through my body. King Colin, the greatest.

I was in Sheffield at the time so didnt see the game v united but was at the City v Newcastle game,as Oakie says a very emotional day,0 - 0 at Half Time as well until he came on.

On the subject of Buchan I used to go in a pub where a Blue and his Dad used to come in.The Father claimed to have followed Buchan into a pub toliet one night and administer a little retribution on behalf of Colin.Might ave been bullshitting but he sounded very convincing and tbh they were not the types to argue with.A poster on here will have witnessed such conversations and may know more?

I was at the game where Colin's career was virtually ended by the rag Buchan. Colin was in his prime. W e knew it was a bad injury but never envisaged it was career ending.
I was also at the Newcastle game when he came on as a sub. The atmosphere was electric as word spread that the King was about to return. To me it It was more emotional and electric than the Dickov and Aguero goals. I doubt there was a dry eye in the house including the Newky fans. You really had to be there to appreciate it. Totally unbelievable.
Colin was like Silva, Yaya and Sergio combined and a very humble guy. Gave nothing less than 100% every game. A true legend.

When I take my dog named Zaba on her walk. My special command word for her to curl one out is "Buchan" as that is the level the useless dirty rag holds for me. He ended the career of my and many fellow Blues hero. We didn't fully understand the extent of the injury on the night, but at the time there was a feeling of forebodeing. As previous posters have said,he could easily have gone onto win 100+ England caps and become a national hero. 39 yrs later a fat,useless granny shagger is on the verge of getting his 100th cap for England and become the darling of the media and nation. Where's the justice?

When I take my dog named Zaba on her walk. My special command word for her to curl one out is "Buchan" as that is the level the useless dirty rag holds for me. He ended the career of my and many fellow Blues hero. We didn't fully understand the extent of the injury on the night, but at the time there was a feeling of forebodeing. As previous posters have said,he could easily have gone onto win 100+ England caps and become a national hero. 39 yrs later a fat,useless granny shagger is on the verge of getting his 100th cap for England and become the darling of the media and nation. Where's the justice?

I was at the game, bitter red **** is Buchan as the post above shows they've never had any class.

I'd seen Colin play for 4/5 years before the injury while I was a youngster he was undoubtedly our best player. If he'd been fully fit in 76/77 we'd have won the league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.