125 years ago today (1st Sept)

Gary James

125 years ago today ⁦City played their first competitive game after reforming as Manchester City. Their opponents ⁦Bury were making their League debut that day too. Details: https://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=54

Joshua Parlby’s dream of creating a club to represent the whole of Manchester had achieved its first major milestone. Within a decade Manchester’s Blues would bring the city of Manchester its first major trophy, while Bury would also have achieved two FA Cup successes.

125 years ago today ⁦City played their first competitive game after reforming as Manchester City. Their opponents ⁦Bury were making their League debut that day too. Details: https://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=54

Joshua Parlby’s dream of creating a club to represent the whole of Manchester had achieved its first major milestone. Within a decade Manchester’s Blues would bring the city of Manchester its first major trophy, while Bury would also have achieved two FA Cup successes.
Nice one, 125 not out, no istree though. Feel very sad about Bury, didn't know they shared the same “birthday” we matched their record FA Cup final score of 6-0 making it even more poignant.

Nice one, 125 not out, no istree though. Feel very sad about Bury, didn't know they shared the same “birthday” we matched their record FA Cup final score of 6-0 making it even more poignant.
Agreed. Football's governing bodies seem happy to allow owners to asset strip clips and put longstanding institutions in financial peril while at the same time blocking or punishing investment into other clubs. The whole governance of football needs looking at.

On City's formative years.... Already today I've seen the myths of Anna Connell and other early years stuff get discussed or promoted. I'd urge all Blues to read the latest research. I've covered it in both and I'm not asking anyone to buy those books but I would urge people to get them out of a library or borrow a copy. City are bigger and better than the myths. Let other clubs tell their stories and make up their history - for us we need to be absolutely clean and celebrate our wonderful history. Joshua Parlby, Walter Chew, Lawrence Furniss & the Alexander family are people we should celebrate. They made our club during its formative years and their stories are incredible - Parlby, Chew & Lawrence in particular created what became the club we all love. They were visionaries who worked for our benefit.

Agreed. Football's governing bodies seem happy to allow owners to asset strip clips and put longstanding institutions in financial peril while at the same time blocking or punishing investment into other clubs. The whole governance of football needs looking at.

On City's formative years.... Already today I've seen the myths of Anna Connell and other early years stuff get discussed or promoted. I'd urge all Blues to read the latest research. I've covered it in both and I'm not asking anyone to buy those books but I would urge people to get them out of a library or borrow a copy. City are bigger and better than the myths. Let other clubs tell their stories and make up their history - for us we need to be absolutely clean and celebrate our wonderful history. Joshua Parlby, Walter Chew, Lawrence Furniss & the Alexander family are people we should celebrate. They made our club during its formative years and their stories are incredible - Parlby, Chew & Lawrence in particular created what became the club we all love. They were visionaries who worked for our benefit.

I’ve just ordered off Amazon (the City folklore one), looking forward to reading it, cheers.

Thanks, Gary. Will buy those for Christmas (our whole family are mad for all things City)

... and Happy Birthday, Manchester City !

You've brought me an awful lot of joy (and pain !) during my life.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.