14th Doctor announced by the BBC

Whittaker is a decent actor. When you give her shite scripting and poor direction, make the companions equal billing to the Doctor, it doesn't help a great deal.

Maybe the new guy will get more young viewers in, but if he's given turgid soap storylines as RTD was wont to do, the revival will be canned.

One experienced producer on taking over the show in Tom Baker's era called it actor proof. Dunno if it still is. The Doctor has been played by many actors but the core personality and traits are the same, helping the oppressed, fighting evil, leading by example.

Whittaker has exhibited none of this, a passive Doctor outshone by her companions, who let's face it have been dull as ditchwater cyphers, who acts out of character and has provided fuck all sexual tension.

A strange comment?? Perhaps, but I would refer you to 1982's Kinda, a Buddhist parable with a big rubber snake threatening paradise! The gentle whimsical Peter Davison's Doctor and his relationship with scientist Todd, played by Nerys Hughes was contrasted with a more parasitic relationship between Janet Fielding's Mara-possessed Tegan and terrified local Aris, played by That's Life's very own Adrian Mills!!! The point is this subtext added to the story, made the characters slightly more believe. Preferable to the current vogue of all companions idolising the Doctor and/or wanting to snog his/her face off. For me very much a missed opportunity.

I agree with a lot of this - the scripts and continuity have been poor for JW, and the massed ranks of companions hasn't helped. Too many times it has turned into wave the screwdriver at something random and declare an answer, which is just poor writing, and JW can't do anything to save that.

There have been some strange ideas too - Dan randomly killing half a dozen sea devils who weren't actually attacking seemed very wrong, but not as bad as joking about it.

The main thing between the old school stuff (and the rubber snake was quite awful, even when paired with Simon Rouse from the Bill) is that back then the story was allowed to breathe by being multiple episodes; now there is no time for subtlety which has led to JW's era suddenly stopping dead so characters can talk 'meaningfully' for thirty a minute and disrupting the flow.

Reactions: mat
Well that was a surprise, still not going to watch it but they kept the secret well.

David Tennant back as the Doctor - but only for 3 episodes. New fella takes over after him, unless Tom Baker's in line for a return.

Let me guess… a gender inconclusive, disabled, non white person?
download.jpeg

The 15th doctor allegedly has a wheelchair bound companion.

Tennant's doctor will have Donna Noble and her transgender daughter as companions.

David Tennant playing The Doctor maybe clever misdirection.

The story going around is thate Tnnant's"Doctor" is fake created by the celestial toymaker (or newly regenerated Master) to stop Jodie regenerating into Ncuti thus killing him.

If he travels back in time and meets a few of himself, as happens a couple of times per season I wonder would he fancy himself, he could also.... No best leave it there.

If he travels back in time and meets a few of himself, as happens a couple of times per season I wonder would he fancy himself, he could also.... No best leave it there.
Anything is possible on Russell T Davis' new watch over the show.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.