#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was discussing that before today on twitter.

Thing is that his xA per open play keypass this season is lower than the seasons before.
In 18/19 he had an xA per open play keypass of 0.21, in 19/20 it still was 0.20, in 20/21 it was 0.15, this season it is 0.11

That could be a problem of either different situations in the system he plays in or a problem of his timing. He still has the number of key passes but they do not have the big quality they had in some seasons before.

Yes, it still might be a conversion problem, too. If I look at his numbers in the last season at Wolfsburg he "only" had a 0.15 xA/per key pass - but it were a lot crosses to Bas Dost so he overperformed the cumultative xA for open play by approximately 50 % that season.

In comparison - Mahrez has an average of 0.14 per open play key pass (2 assists from open play for a cumultive 2.12) - Jesus has an average xA of 0.19 per open play keypass and that results in 7 assists out of a 3.79 cumultive open play xA.

Where can you find the xA per KP? Here is the Link to the Manchester City squad on understat.com here!!!
Click a player to get on his page. If you click on the tap situations you see a table for all of the seasons since 14/15 - choose just the season you want and you can see the value in the column xA/KP.
If you scroll the page down you will find a shot map of all the shots of the player, too. You can choose the season and situation, too.
More simply, he has been a shadow of himself, he and his manager have all said the same.

He was clearly very unfit at the start of the season, mentally shattered and just as he was starting to look more like himself he got covid.

He is staring to look a player again but will he reach the levels of previous years?

Miles better,and wonderful to have him available,but he will never be the player he was.And my biggest concern....He suffocates Bernardo,and takes away from others - it doesn't quite create a square peg/round hole situation but i am still of the opinion we have a better 11 when without him.
Take your point but I’d probably say the line up at old Trafford with Kev false 9 is our strongest (with Sterling or Mahrez wide right).

Almost back to his ever threatening best. To think that there were more than a handful on here thinking he was now past it.

Miles better,and wonderful to have him available,but he will never be the player he was.And my biggest concern....He suffocates Bernardo,and takes away from others - it doesn't quite create a square peg/round hole situation but i am still of the opinion we have a better 11 when without him.

100%

But I don't understand why Pep hasn't tried this formation at least once:

-----------------Rodri----------------------
---Bernardo----------------KDB-----------

What is wrong here ? Yep we miss KDBs crosses from the right wing, but isn't Cancelo
doing that for a months now and perfectly replacing him in terms of "crazy assists" ?

On the other hand, KDB can cut inside and shoot from the LCM and even dribble more. Remember
that goal against Arsenal in 2017 and many goals like that.

And what's funny, if you look at KDBs game - he moves on the pitch freely - isn't attached to exact
same position for the whole game. But Bernardo is always attached to that right wing and rarely moves
to the left..

That's why it's a mystery for me - why Pep hasn't even once tried to play them otherwise.
We always see KDB as RCM and Bernardo as LCM - when they play together, but in opposite - never.

WHY PEP WHY ?????

Said this in August and I stand by it.

A special player who you always feel is going to do something vital.

Looking fitter than he has in ages and gradually moving back towards his best. It always takes him a while to come back from injuries, after he gets to be fit enough to play he still has weeks or even months where he's not quite sharp. I can only see those recovery periods increasing as he gets older so I'm hoping and expecting that the club is taking extremely good care of him to try to reduce the likelihood of injuries.

Some of his passing was a little off last night, but he's come on in leaps and bounds the past couple of weeks and I expect him to continue that progress into the new year.

Last edited:
100%

But I don't understand why Pep hasn't tried this formation at least once:

-----------------Rodri----------------------
---Bernardo----------------KDB-----------

What is wrong here ? Yep we miss KDBs crosses from the right wing, but isn't Cancelo
doing that for a months now and perfectly replacing him in terms of "crazy assists" ?

On the other hand, KDB can cut inside and shoot from the LCM and even dribble more. Remember
that goal against Arsenal in 2017 and many goals like that.

And what's funny, if you look at KDBs game - he moves on the pitch freely - isn't attached to exact
same position for the whole game. But Bernardo is always attached to that right wing and rarely moves
to the left..

That's why it's a mystery for me - why Pep hasn't even once tried to play them otherwise.
We always see KDB as RCM and Bernardo as LCM - when they play together, but in opposite - never.

WHY PEP WHY ?????
Imo you have answered your own question :
"he moves on the pitch freely - isn't attached to exact same position for the whole game." He can do that as a false 9 but it is defensively risky as a midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.