1884 or 1894 ?

I'm the author of A Man's Game: the Origins of Manchester City FC.

In my first week as a history student, back in the 1980s, a history professor told me: “Ignore other people's conclusions. The only thing that matters is the evidence”. That is great advice for anyone who wants to write about history.

I've laid out the evidence as to why Gorton Association is a very different club to St Mark's at Manchester Football History and am happy to discuss it with anyone.

http://www.manchesterfootballhistory.com/

The ebook version is 30,000 words (the paperback will be published in May) covering the period up to 1885. It includes a huge amount of new information that I've unearthed during four years of research and is the most detailed account of this period in City's history ever written. Most of the evidence cannot be found in any other book.

My book also goes into detail about City's historiography (the history of the history), to explain why 1880 became the accepted starting date. The first history of the club was published in the 1898 Golden Penny magazine and claimed the club was formed in the “early eighties” by its players. This is consistent with the mass of later evidence. The 1880 date was first introduced into City's history in the 1906 Book of Football. The anonymously-written piece also claimed that Ardwick moved to Hyde Road in 1889 (the correct date is 1887), stated that a Mr W Chew was “the father of the club” (a claim that has not been repeated since) and its timeline of early events omits a whole season. In short, it cannot be viewed as a reliable source of information. I've also identified the most likely author of the 1906 history in my book.

The first mention of St Mark's in a City history wasn't until Fred Johnson’s Manchester City: A Souvenir History in 1930. As most of the club's records had been lost in a fire at Hyde Road in 1920, it's likely that Johnson's formation date was influenced by the Book of Football. It is also likely that Walter Chew, who was treasurer of the Manchester FA in the early 1900s, was consulted in both the 1906 and 1930 histories. While Chew's involvement may be significant, there is a long line of research that emphasises the unreliability of memory as an historical source, and the dangers of basing conclusions on memory alone.

Which brings me back to the point about the all-importance of evidence. Gary, you state that “The one thing that was always clear was that some of the people continued to be involved with the club and claim it as the same organisation from 1880 through to the 1940s - as they were directly involved I think their views have to be remembered”. You also say that “there are people directly involved who in the early 1900s talked of the club's roots going back to 1880 and St. Mark's”. Who are you referring to and what exactly did they claim?

You state that the 1880 start date is backed up by heavy research, but did not give any details of the actual evidence. Gary, I've got a great deal of respect for the work you've done in promoting City's history, so if you tell me what evidence you're referring to I'd love to discuss it with you in more detail.

If anyone is unsure about buying this book you can read half of the opening chapter at Amazon through the “Look Inside” feature. That chapter provides detailed new evidence about how football became established in Manchester, including previously-unknown details of the first recorded game of association football played in the city.

Look forward to that book ^^^^

When I was involved with the fanzine Blue Print, the editor at the time was given an unpublished book / manuscript by the family of someone who had written it (the author had passed away sadly) containing solely pages and pages of info about the beginnings of the club.
Gary, was that passed on to you?

MCFChistory - I've sent you a PM and suggested we meet. I'd hoped we'd do that in 2011-12 because I'm sure we could've helped each other. I think we have similar views - my piece in "Manchester The City Years" on 1884 talks of the formation of the new club being a significant moment (as did Andy Ward), but I also do talk of the links with St. Mark's.

I'm always keen to meet and share ideas with anyone researching City's (and Manchester's football) history - there are at least 3 other people performing detailed research on the period 1865-1894 at the moment and each offers a different perspective. Some I agree with, others maybe not, but the key thing for me is to share and discuss to develop a better understanding of this period in football. When I started researching Goble, Maddocks, Chapman, Masey & fellow members of the AFS willingly gave up their time to help me and I've tried to follow that approach. I'm sure there are people on here who will recognise that all I want to do is develop, properly record and promote City's history as it should be. No myths, no hype just facts.

The more research that's done on this period the better. There's still much more to be done.

I look forward to meeting you.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Look forward to that book ^^^^

When I was involved with the fanzine Blue Print, the editor at the time was given an unpublished book / manuscript by the family of someone who had written it (the author had passed away sadly) containing solely pages and pages of info about the beginnings of the club.
Gary, was that passed on to you?

I've seen copies and have a section of it (it was part of a 4 volume set). This was partly where the Anna Connell story first came from - the 'vicar's daughter' as she was referred to at the time and in much of what followed was never mentioned prior to 1976 and then this was produced. It added some excellent knowledge and was used extensively by Bill Miles, Andy Ward and others at various points. It was the first research to provide match reports of the games played by St. Mark's & Gorton.

It is very useful but lots of assumptions were made which, sadly, have since been proved to be incorrect. However, it remains very important due to the level Tony Heap went to at that time (no one else had ever researched it to that level before Tony and I try to ensure I acknowledge him in my books).

Gary James said:
Falastur said:
I'd be interested to see Gary James' take on this.

"Manchester The City Years" (my latest book, published in August) starts with the story of the area in the 1850s and goes through the key steps that led to the first known game and on to the formation of MCFC in 1894.

Within the period 1857 to 1894 there are many key decision making dates when games took place or clubs were formed or names changed. None of the printed dates however tell the full story and it's important to understand and interpret those dates and actions based on all available material.

It is a fact that MCFC came in to being in 1894 and it was put forward by all involved that this was a new club - so that's MCFC's formation. The same happened with Ardwick in 1887, Gorton in 1884 and so on. None of that however tells the full story and the lineage. For me one of the strongest aspects of MCFC has been the people - and there are people directly involved who in the early 1900s talked of the club's roots going back to 1880 and St. Mark's. Heavy research in dusty old archives (much of this stuff is not online) has always backed this up. There has been confusion in the period 1882-1884 but Paul Toovey did some excellent research on this (please read his book - it simply presents information as he found it and makes some interpretation). Even that confusion didn't alter the views of those involved at the start that this was the same club.

The one thing that was always clear was that some of the people continued to be involved with the club and claim it as the same organisation from 1880 through to the 1940s - as they were directly involved I think their views have to be remembered.

Personally, I've never been convinced that the Nov 1880 game with Macclesfield Baptists was the first - I believe there would have been at least one earlier game. Reports in all the credible newspapers of the period do not show a report, nor do they show information about the formation, but I believe there's enough evidence out there to show that it could have happened (and that's the main point really - lots of circumstantial evidence but actual facts are harder to prove).

I'd urge everyone to read "Manchester The City Years" (borrow it from a library - it's usually free and if they don't have it in ask them to order it). The book covers City's full history and contains almost 500,000 words but even then there's so much more I wanted to include.

But if a bunch of lads played in the same school team (lets say Newtown School) and then subsequently set up their own club (Newtown City FC), would you say that the Newtown City had a former name of Newtown School? Substitute Church for School and that's where we are with St Mark's. Definitely part of the story, but not necessarily the start of the club. That's the point that Andrew Keenan makes in his book I think.

I helped Andrew identify the site of the first St Mark's games - roughly on the site of the subsequent Athletics stadium (and speedway track) at Belle Vue. This was possible by cross-referencing contemporaneous match reports of the early games describing slope and wind conditions to OS maps (slope) and newspaper reports (wind). All early games are consistent with a pitch sloping up from the SW to NE. For instance the first match report talks of a strong wind running down the ground (there were south-westerly gales that day according to the newspapers) and playing the ball "up" and running "up". Many later games talk of playing with the slope and the wind etc. The only possible place in the area was known locally as Messrs Jennison's Field and was part of the Belle Vue site. And importantly, that was in Longsight which agrees to where the newspaper reports actually record the first games. I have also found evidence that the Jennisons, who owned Belle Vue, were linked to St Mark's with the son of one of the owning brothers, Richard Jennison, even playing in the St Mark's cricket team with Chew, Kitchen, Hopkinson & co (26/4/1884 at "Longsight").

A similar analysis of reported wind and slope directions at Hyde Road reveal that the orientation of the first pitch was far different to the final location. The first pitch was located at the Hyde Road end of the site running almost parallel with Hyde Road. It was probably moved due to drainage issues.

I am a keen Subbuteo collector as well as City fan. I've recently got more interested in Victorian football and kits, and to unite all these interests I've got a small collection of teams (1950s style flats) and play a small league of my own. Thought I'd share them here (not enough posts to start a seperate thread - hope that's OK...)

Ardwick

Gorton

Did we ever get to the bottom of this? According to the pictures around the stadium the club still seems to be saying
that 1880 St Mark's was the starting point of the story.

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
Did we ever get to the bottom of this? According to the pictures around the stadium the club still seems to be saying
that 1880 St Mark's was the starting point of the story.

Players of St Marks defiantly ended up as managers and directors at Manchester City. Im sure they believed that the history of MCFC went back to the start of the St Marks club.

MCFChistory's reserch not mine.

St Mark's folded early in 1883, and around that time another club, West Gorton Association, played its first
recorded game. The team was made up largely of players from St Mark's, who may have founded the club.
It may also have originated from the nearby Union Iron works. However, the club was not to last much
longer.

There were four football clubs in Gorton that season: St Mark's, Belle Vue Rangers, Gorton Tank Rovers
and West Gorton Association. But by the start of the 1883-84 season only one was left standing. West
Gorton Association - which had been on the point of folding - was taken over by Belle Vue Rangers,
who took on West Gorton's name.

The following season a new club, Gorton Association - the club that evolved into Manchester City - was
created by a group of young footballers. According to the 25 October 1884 edition of the Gorton Reporter
“The members of the old West Gorton Association Football Club have pulled together, and, with the
assistance of a few other players, have formed a new club under the name of “Gorton Association”.

known St Marks players in this team
Fredrick Hopkinson
Edward Kitchen
Walter Chew
J Booth

Gorton Association was created and run by its players and, reflecting the fact that its sole financial benefactor
was a Unitarian, was open to players of all Protestant denominations. St Mark's, on the other hand, was run
by a clergyman, and would have been restricted to parishioners. Other evidence illustrates how the two clubs
differed. None of Gorton's opponents in the 1884-85 season appeared on the St Mark's fixture list from 1882-83
and the club also played under the jurisdiction of the Football Association, which St Mark's did not. Lastly,
its name represented the whole Gorton area, not just West Gorton.

St Mark's certainly played an important role in laying the groundwork for Gorton AFC's creation, as did
Belle Vue Rangers, but the foundations of Manchester City FC were not laid until October 1884.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.