1894 Group - fundraising ahead of the 2018/19 season

Cant thank enough the kindness of everybody who donates, its fantastic.

We have many ideas for displays that we want to do and we have tried many different ones. I get involved right from the beginning and then I'm at the stadium two hours before KO with the other lads setting it up.

This year in particular we have had quite a few stumbling blocks that limit what we want to actually do, often fans will say they have seen a great display at Newcastle so why don't we try that.

But a few hurdles are - the shape of the south stand end, as in directly above 115 / 116 we have corporate seats so fans there don't get involved or in seats early ( although there are some great fans in there that I regularly speak to ). So we have the pain of corporate above us and away fans to the side of us !

If we hang banners from level two even just for 3 minutes as the players come on the pitch, we have complaints from fans below saying they miss seeing players warm up. Like wise if we use surfer banners or big held up banners on two sticks we get quite a few complaints. So we have had little disputes with security as fans have complained to them.

As the players come on the pitch unfortunately the SS lower is only about 70% populated due to queues outside etc, this makes any mosaics look a bit shabby, also suffers flop rather than being held up. it would be great if fans could be in seats as the players come out but we do have a problem at turnstiles.

We have fans in SS3 that want a better atmosphere etc, but the shape of the stand means we are miles apart so it is difficult for us all to sing & work together. Also at the moment security will not allow any flags in SS3, so all we can put up there are mosaic cards. We are working on trying to relax the riles a bit, fingers crossed.

A lot of these problems will be omitted if we rebuild the north stand with atmosphere fans in mind. Meanwhile we just hope getting in to the stadium is made easier so the stands are 100% populated as the players come out. I would say this is one of the biggest factors for us.

Why not try the East Stand , or would that be even more difficult to organise?

Why not try the East Stand , or would that be even more difficult to organise?

True mate the east stand isn't a bad shape, managed to do a few bits in there over the years with ticker tape.

But ( always a but ! ) we all have season cards for 115 / 116 that do the displays, because of how the stadium now is and cant get round the concourse its all but impossible for us to do. Then security like all the flags and whatever displays we do to be in one end so its easier to keep an eye on. East stand also have lots of camera baskets on the second tier so we cant drop banners over like we do over 115 116 117. The club have done some great stadium mosaics over the last couple of seasons in CL semis etc. The advantage they have is they have access 2 or 3 days before the games to work on it for 8 hours a day and have it a bit easier with security.

Fingers crossed the north stand is done as we all want it with fans in mind, its a while off yet so meanwhile we have to persevere with south stand as it is.

Mentioned it on this thread before, wish we could get something done about the queues to get in, we need everybody in seats before KO.

This year in particular we have had quite a few stumbling blocks that limit what we want to actually do, often fans will say they have seen a great display at Newcastle so why don't we try that.

you have to admit though that those newcastle displays in particular are brilliant. their group from what I've read have been going for about a year and they are creating displays you'd probably see in the bundesliga... i think we could do better than that. you could just take inspiration from the kop - its just loads of flags, two stick flags and handmade flags. huddersfield have a similar situation to our south stand and they do great displays.

Dont take it as a criticism because obviously i don't make displays and you put loads of effort in, which is brilliant. but i think the displays could be better and more creative. i think I've said this before, but visually to me a lot of your displays are very similar i.e. change a few flags here and there. just an idea. but maybe create more two stick flags or get some different coloured flags - a red and black one ?. just to mix it up a bit. you could even look at argentina - they literally fill the stand full of balloons and ticker tape - the alone would be really cheap and easy to do. even from the past pictures of city fans with flags at the old wembley - recreate them.

I respect what you guys do and think without your lot the stadium would be dead. keep up the good work and those are just some ideas that you could possibly do.

you have to admit though that those newcastle displays in particular are brilliant. their group from what I've read have been going for about a year and they are creating displays you'd probably see in the bundesliga... i think we could do better than that. you could just take inspiration from the kop - its just loads of flags, two stick flags and handmade flags. huddersfield have a similar situation to our south stand and they do great displays.

Dont take it as a criticism because obviously i don't make displays and you put loads of effort in, which is brilliant. but i think the displays could be better and more creative. i think I've said this before, but visually to me a lot of your displays are very similar i.e. change a few flags here and there. just an idea. but maybe create more two stick flags or get some different coloured flags - a red and black one ?. just to mix it up a bit. you could even look at argentina - they literally fill the stand full of balloons and ticker tape - the alone would be really cheap and easy to do. even from the past pictures of city fans with flags at the old wembley - recreate them.

I respect what you guys do and think without your lot the stadium would be dead. keep up the good work and those are just some ideas that you could possibly do.
All depends on what sticks you have on flags.... some grounds don't allow wooden sticks, or sticks beyond a certain length or sticks at all!

That Newcastle group have seemingly come out of nowhere and it’s certainly very impressive what they’re doing.

A lot of it is about the mentality of other fans though as well - the Newcastle guys will have to rely on plenty of fans in that stand to pull off those displays as do we. We’ve had a fair few cracking ideas that haven’t quite come off because some fans haven’t bought into it. Simple things like holding a banner up properly which if not done right kills the effect. Classic case in point was the home derby in April - we had a 3 part banner but they weren’t all held up correctly so it was difficult to see the message. Another example is ticker tape which you’ve suggested we should do and I agree it looks class when done right. We’ve done it a few times, the last being Palace at home last season. Some of the lads spent hours cutting, shredding, and bagging it, and half a dozen of us laid it out on match day before the gates opened. We put some over in 110/111 corner as well as 114/115, along with some blue streamers. I think there were something like 1500 bags of ticker in total. When the players came out, most of our section launched their ticker but somewhat inexplicably only about half a dozen bags got thrown from 110/111 corner.

That Newcastle group have seemingly come out of nowhere and it’s certainly very impressive what they’re doing.

A lot of it is about the mentality of other fans though as well - the Newcastle guys will have to rely on plenty of fans in that stand to pull off those displays as do we. We’ve had a fair few cracking ideas that haven’t quite come off because some fans haven’t bought into it. Simple things like holding a banner up properly which if not done right kills the effect. Classic case in point was the home derby in April - we had a 3 part banner but they weren’t all held up correctly so it was difficult to see the message. Another example is ticker tape which you’ve suggested we should do and I agree it looks class when done right. We’ve done it a few times, the last being Palace at home last season. Some of the lads spent hours cutting, shredding, and bagging it, and half a dozen of us laid it out on match day before the gates opened. We put some over in 110/111 corner as well as 114/115, along with some blue streamers. I think there were something like 1500 bags of ticker in total. When the players came out, most of our section launched their ticker but somewhat inexplicably only about half a dozen bags got thrown from 110/111 corner.
You need to lead that sort of thing personally M18CTID
I recommend you get a Cappo outfit (2XL) of course.

Th. Simple things like holding a banner up properly which if not done right kills the effect. Classic case in point was the home derby in April - we had a 3 part banner but they weren’t all held up correctly so it was difficult to see the message.

This.

At least half our fans are eejits in this regard. Incapable of holding up a banner or (heaven forfend) a piece of card for more than 4 seconds.

You aren't missing anything. You don't need to look at the pitch. Players are warming up or having photos taking. Just hold the fecking banner. Fans are even instructed how to do it before the players come out!!!

The last few times have been completely ruined...the players can have had no idea what the displays said. Feel sorry for those who have worked so hard on them.

Its not just the newcastle group, theres quite a few groups now that create really good visual displays.I agree on your other point - we need people to actually join in and that would make a huge difference. I remember the derby display, for me the issue with it imo was that I couldn't read what the banners actually said. might have been the font style ? or as you say they weren't held up correctly.

the best displays, for example some of those newcastle ones are really simple. literally just a large banner with some painted words on it. you could even just paint a blue manchester bee on a two stick flag and i think that alone would look class. i think as i said before you should look at europe and england ( in he past - wembley) for inspiration and ideas. different coloured flags, different types..... from what I've seen your group have really stepped up in terms of displays though to be fair. we should be aiming to make the south stand look like the Kop or the yellow wall ( visually). it makes the stadium look so much better with displays and flags.

it would be great even if you could get the club to allow fans to hang flags again, just above the south stand level 1.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.