1917 film

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JOGAMIGMOG, 13 Jan 2020.

1. denislawsbackheel

denislawsbackheel

I’d like to know if the difference in quality between the two sides trench facilities was true.

2. Ardwick Green Blue

Ardwick Green Blue

The Germans definitely had bigger rats, the sneaky cunts..

3. super_city_si

super_city_si

Cracking film. The single shot angle really gives it an immersive feel. He should get an award for that. Really enjoyed it.

JOGAMIGMOG likes this.
  4. uncle fester

uncle fester

thought it was o.k. no more
    fairly routine plot - guys have to go from A to B with a series of set situations along the way
    little bit underwhelmed

5. Saddleworth2

Saddleworth2

Yes. They had more time to plan and construct their trenches and usually held the better ground.

6. The perfect fumble

The perfect fumble

That's true, plus they had an occupiers mentality. The French and British never entrenched as well as the Germans, allied generals always talked about the next big push, often for political reasons, and even though they realised it was a fantasy, they could not allow a static mentality to become the accepted norm for the troops.

7. blue aura

blue aura

I enjoyed it... But was expecting to be blown away.

8. jaigurugoat

jaigurugoat

I try to avoid anything with Cumberbatch in it, most overrated actor of all time.

9. Biffo123

Biffo123

Just watched it tonight and these are exactly my thoughts also

10. Saddleworth2

Saddleworth2

We saw it on Monday. So background, I have researched Mrs S family history for the last few years and she has 4 great uncles that died in WW1 so I have read a great deal about trench warfare and am familiar with the history of WW1 and the major battles. We have visited Belgium, France and Germany to pay respects to our relatives that gave their lives.

I found the film emotionally very involving and it’s single shot structure incredibly immersive. It made you feel that you were present, with the major characters. It didn’t include any of the massive artillery fire, explosions or sheer painful noise that you would imagine typified WW1 instead featuring the challenge for two young lance corporals. The footage of no mans land looked very true and authentic. Mrs S has read much less about the conditions and reality of the war and found the film pretty harrowing and was close to /in tears for most of it. The film certainly demonstrated the extreme youth of the protagonists and the futility of much of what went on.

It was encouraging to see so many youngsters in the cinema to see the film. I hope they saw more than an action film.