1917 film

The Odeon used to be at the top of Drake street and as kids we abandoned razors for a full month to blag our way in to see the Exorcist. William never had the budget the luvie directors have today or that CGI and the way they made Linda Blair's head spin and projectile vomit was a defining moment in the horror film genre and I still have disturbed sleep patterns to this day.

The Exorcist had a budget of $12 million, which isn't exactly peanuts for 1973. Especially for a horror film. Whereas 1917 has a budget of $90 million, which isn't massive by today's standards (less than the Hangover 3).

Gonna watch it next week. Other than All Quiet on the Western Front in 1930, I don't think I can name a genuinely classic WW1 film that actually covers the European part of the conflict. Hell I'd struggle to name a classic WW1 film since Lawrence of Arabia.
Paths of Glory is definitely one of the best ever war films and set in WW1.
Kirk Douglas at his best.
Stanley Kubrick director - check out the tracking shot in the trench attack.
11 clips on You Tube.

The Exorcist had a budget of $12 million, which isn't exactly peanuts for 1973. Especially for a horror film. Whereas 1917 has a budget of $90 million, which isn't massive by today's standards (less than the Hangover 3).

Would be around 143 mill in today's money with £100 in 73 having a current purchase power of £1,199 ? So definitely a lesser spend with 1917 but William had more man power and mechanization to deal with opposed to the sit on your arse computer technology of today's directors. The Exorcist grossed somewhere in the region of 424 million worldwide and not sure if that factors in inflation but hey lads hey none too bad a profit margin for that click and wear technology of the day and it's pretty amazing what a little spin can conjure up. I hope 17 does well because I enjoy a good war romp but that Saving Private Ryan will take some beating.

Just back from seeing it.
First hour up to the plane crash is outstanding gripping cinema.
The single shot technique adds to the tension.
But after the plane crash I thought it got a bit meh. Too much daft storyline for me until the protagonist found the regiment.
Nevertheless well worth going to see.

Agree with this. I actually got quite bored after the plane crash.
I'm not surprised Germany lost the war with what happened in the town if they can't shoot a man running 15 feet away from them.

Would be around 143 mill in today's money with £100 in 73 having a current purchase power of £1,199 ? So definitely a lesser spend with 1917 but William had more man power and mechanization to deal with opposed to the sit on your arse computer technology of today's directors. The Exorcist grossed somewhere in the region of 424 million worldwide and not sure if that factors in inflation but hey lads hey none too bad a profit margin for that click and wear technology of the day and it's pretty amazing what a little spin can conjure up. I hope 17 does well because I enjoy a good war romp but that Saving Private Ryan will take some beating.
All quiet on the western front.
The original. Brilliant film.

Just back from seeing it.
First hour up to the plane crash is outstanding gripping cinema.
The single shot technique adds to the tension.
But after the plane crash I thought it got a bit meh. Too much daft storyline for me until the protagonist found the regiment.
Nevertheless well worth going to see.
So the plane crashes, not worth bothering

My dad was a film buff and in school holidays he took me and my sister to see countless films. The two WW1 films I remember fondly were "The Blue Max" and "Oh! What a Lovely War". The former was about the war in the air. Biplanes fighting duels in the sky above the stalemate of the ground war. The latter showed the horrors the ordinary soldiers faced while the incompetent officers lived the high life miles behind the front line.

Easy on the details, please, as some of us are interested in opinions, but not a recitation of the entire film. It’s just come out and I’d like to see it without knowing every scene.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.