Re: De Jong injury to Ben Arfa

Fair dues to Andy Townsend.....usually talk absolute bolloxs

It is a disgrace that Bert van Marwijk has dropped Nigel de Jong from the Holland squad.

There have been lots of tackles worse than De Jong’s on Hatem Ben Arfa this season - his leading leg went straight for the ball. Momentum is what broke Ben Arfa’s leg and that is unfortunate. It is the sort of challenge I have made a thousand times.

He could make that same challenge again all season and he wouldn’t break anyone’s leg. The referee didn’t even stop the game.

Wild: Nigel De Jong flies in on Hatem Ben Arfa at Eastlands on Sunday
I feel sympathy for Ben Arfa, because he has made a good start for Newcastle and has influenced games. De Jong’s tackle was a full-blooded, strong challenge. The ball was there to be won and he wasn’t setting out to break a leg.

It shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath as De Jong’s tackle on Xabi Alonso or Karl Henry’s on Jordi Gomez on Saturday.

We have to be careful that we don’t deem every challenge ‘reckless’ when a player is stretching for the ball at speed. We don’t say the same when goalkeepers come out to claim the ball in front of a striker and their momentum brings them down.
The tackle on Ben Arfa was like the Henry one which saw Bobby Zamora break his leg - there was not much wrong with it.

Controversy: Holland boss Bert van Marwijk dropped Nigel de Jong from this week's squad
People are condemning De Jong but they need their heads tested. He’s a committed player for City and Holland. He’s there to be physical and competitive and he is brilliant at it. If we take his type of tackling out of Premier League football, we won’t have a product. Are we trying to take tackling out of football?

De Jong is in the Dutch team to tackle - and Van Marwijk is mad to drop him and make an example of him in this way. I can only assume there are other reasons we don’t know about. If I was De Jong, I would refuse to play for Holland again while he is in charge.

The kung-fu tackle De Jong made on Alonso in the World Cup final was reckless and a disgrace. It seriously endangered Alonso and he only got booked.

So why was Van Marwijk not outraged enough by the challenge to substitute him straight away for going against the principles of the beautiful Dutch game? And now all of a sudden he has found a conscience. Is he trying to protect his own reputation?

During the summer, Van Marwijk sent out a team to kick Spain off the pitch. He thought he would come home to an open-top bus ride after South Africa but instead he came back to a load of criticism about his team’s physical approach. So now he’s made De Jong a scapegoat.

And why is De Jong dropped and Mark van Bommel not? Van Bommel made more cynical challenges in the World Cup than anyone else - and Van Marwijk didn’t do anything about that. I hope i

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1318056/Andy-Townsends-insight-Bert-van-Marwijks-disgrace-dropping-De-Jong.html#ixzz11ZnVezzb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z11ZnVezzb</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QziGyPORRxQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QziGyPORRxQ</a>

here is the clip. watch it again.

I want someone to explain to me what De Jong is doing with his right leg. Why he has decided to follow clean through in this manner.

This kind of tackle has no place in football.

I don't think De Jong meant to break his leg. What people don't understand is, that it doesn't matter in the end. In the end, he did. Because quite frankly, I'm not quite sure if De Jong knows how to tackle properly.

The reason De Jong should be suspended is because of his right leg follow through and the 'way he jumped in.' Going in the way he did, at that angle, at the force, the only result was an injury. De Jong has 2 legs. And he is responsible for BOTH OF THEM in a challenge. Just because he got the ball with this left, doesn't mean he is not accountable for his right. His body, his right leg and his quick decision to jump in caused a major injury. People need to get that through their heads. De Jong must learn from this and use better judgement in the future.

You're right HellasLEAF we should watch it again. The tackle isnt something we've really touched upon in the preceding 45 pages.

If a City player maliciously stamps upon an opponents leg....or elbows with vicious intent like Thatcher did.....then to blindly support that player just because he's one of our own would be a debatable decision.
But it is beyond dispute to any sane man with 20/20 vision that de Jong did not set out to purposely injure Ben Arfa - whether you think the challenge was ill-timed, unecessary, clean as a whistle, hard but fair or whatever your views upon it.
That is something we can all agree upon surely? That Nige, at the very worst, was guilty of making sure Ben Arfa knew he was around a few minutes into a game. In a bid to unsettle one of their flair players. I personally dont even believe this is the case but if so its a tactic employed in every single football match since the game was invented.
It was NOT a vicious, malicious challenge made to cause serious injury.
So with this in mind, and considering the sheer amount of flak one of our players is recieving from outside quarters (in The Sun today the headline reads 'Ban This Animal') - I'm sorry to get all George W after 9/11 here - but you are either with us or against us.
The time for debating the intricacies of the challenge has passed.
You are now either with us or against us.

HellasLEAF said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QziGyPORRxQ

I want someone to explain to me what De Jong is doing with his right leg. Why he has decided to follow clean through in this manner.

I don't think De Jong meant to break his leg. What people don't understand is, that it doesn't matter in the end. In the end, he did. Because quite frankly, I'm not quite sure if De Jong knows how to tackle properly.

The reason De Jong should be suspended is because of his right leg follow through and the 'way he jumped in.' Going in the way he did, at that angle, at the force, the only result was an injury. De Jong has 2 legs. And he is responsible for BOTH OF THEM in a challenge. Just because he got the ball with this left, doesn't mean he is not accountable for his right. His body, his right leg and his quick decision to jump in caused a major injury. People need to get that through their heads. De Jong must learn from this and use better judgement in the future.

Are you taking the p??

Perhaps we should arrange for De Jong to have a leg cut off so can't use two legs in his tackles . You are a deluded fool of you are serious . There was plainly no intent- there was contatc but this is a contact sport - if De jong had meant it it would have been both legs and he may even have cut them off in the process. Get real. If you want to see intent just watch the tackle just a few seconds later on Milner - THAT WAS INTENT FOOL!!!!!!

Lucky Toma said:
You're right HellasLEAF we should watch it again. The tackle isnt something we've really touched upon in the preceding 45 pages.

If a City player maliciously stamps upon an opponents leg....or elbows with vicious intent like Thatcher did.....then to blindly support that player just because he's one of our own would be a debatable decision.
But it is beyond dispute to any sane man with 20/20 vision that de Jong did not set out to purposely injure Ben Arfa - whether you think the challenge was ill-timed, unecessary, clean as a whistle, hard but fair or whatever your views upon it.
That is something we can all agree upon surely? That Nige, at the very worst, was guilty of making sure Ben Arfa knew he was around a few minutes into a game. In a bid to unsettle one of their flair players. I personally dont even believe this is the case but if so its a tactic employed in every single football match since the game was invented.
So with this in mind, and considering the sheer amount of flak one of our players is recieving from outside quarters (in The Sun today the headline reads 'Ban This Animal') - I'm sorry to get all George W after 9/11 here - but you are either with us or against us.

Toma, i think hellasleaf made it obvious what his stance is with his post.

Set the spooks onto him;)

Just watched the video carefully 5or 6 times and it seems niges legs were both off the ground when he made the tackle.I dont think he had anything else in his mind but to win the ball but I think a lot of posters are in denial about this incident.Hopefully this will fade into the background now the farce at the Dippers has got new legs.

HellasLEAF said:

You sir are a prick

haller said:
Lucky Toma said:

Toma, i think hellasleaf made it obvious what his stance is with his post.

Set the spooks onto him;)

Agent Oakiecokie has been informed. :)

Newcastle full-back Jose Enrique feels Nigel de Jong should be banned for breaking Hatem Ben Arfa's leg.

The Manchester City midfielder clattered into the Magpies winger during Sunday's meeting at Eastlands.

The crunching tackle left Ben Arfa with a double fracture and he is expected to be sidelined until at least March 2011.

De Jong was not even booked at the time of the incident, but has been dropped by the Dutch national side as a result of his actions.

Newcastle have already approached the Football Association asking them to review the challenge and make a decision on whether a suspension is warranted.

The authorities have agreed to look into the matter, with an FA spokesman saying: "We will consider the contents of the letter."

Spanish defender Enrique hopes action will be taken, as he feels De Jong deserves to be put out of action for as long as Ben Arfa.
Hideous

He said in Marca: "It was a hideous tackle by De Jong. He's one of those players who goes for the kill in every challenge. I hope they ban him for the five or six months that Ben Arfa will be out injured.

"It is not the first time he has seriously injured another player.

"He did something similar last season (to Stuart Holden during an international fixture against USA) and we all know about the boot in Xabi Alonso's chest at the World Cup.

"It was a senseless kick, in the fourth minute of the game. The referee did not even blow for a foul and De Jong continued dishing out kicks to our players all afternoon.

"We are now left with just two wingers until the transfer window reopens in January. If that had been Wayne Rooney instead of Ben Arfa, they would punish De Jong and make an example of him.

"It strikes me as a very good thing that he has not been called up to play for Holland.

"As far as I know he did not even come to our dressing-room afterwards to say sorry."

The Blue Bas***d said:
HellasLEAF said:

You sir are a prick

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.