Re: De Jong injury to Ben Arfa

Andy Gray in support of NDJ...

But let's get back to the crux of the issue. Newcastle and Ben Arfa are obviously disappointed with what's happened and understandably so: the boy was just beginning to settle in this league and the team have been deprived of one of their best creative forces for an indefinite amount of time.

But I don't think it was a malicious tackle; replays show he didn't catch him with his leading foot, it was his trailing leg that made contact and it was just very unfortunate that the damage that caused was so severe.

De Jong is an extremely committed player and anyone who plays in that sort of role, running around the field making tackles, is always at risk of causing a serious injury but I'll maintain he didn't go out to injure the Frenchman. And that's why I'm not in the camp that believes he should receive retrospective punishment for the challenge.

It's a very unfortunate incident all round and I'm sure the FA and its referees will be keeping a close eye on de Jong's future conduct but for the time being we should just put the whole thing down as just something that happens in football from time to time and leave it at that.

nomorethaksintimes said:
As for the tackle itself, as far as I'm concerned it wasn't particularly reckless but De Jong has stepped out of line in the past and I can't just exonerate him from any blame because I'm a city fan.

This is confusing. You aren't suggesting he deserves some blame based on illegal tackles made in other games are you?

blue dallas said:
media witch hunt.

sponsored by sky.

fuck the dutch team, im glad they've dropped him.

enjoy your well earned 2 week rest nigel, you deserve it.

This and exactly what i said when the newly moralistic prick took him out of the 'Orange' nearly men team! Enjoy the rest Nige and come back refreshed ready to carry on battling away in the engine room of our beloved City !!

BufordUSABlue said:
blue dallas said:
media witch hunt.

sponsored by sky.

fuck the dutch team, im glad they've dropped him.

enjoy your well earned 2 week rest nigel, you deserve it.

This and exactly what i said when the newly moralistic prick took him out of the 'Orange' nearly men team! Enjoy the rest Nige and come back refreshed ready to carry on battling away in the engine room of our beloved City !!

And yet left Van Bommel (my son in law) in the squad. Guy could of ended 3 careers at the world cup!!!

HellasLEAF said:
I'll say 2 more things and then leave it be. It's obvious that there are some true blue nutters on here that will never admit to anything a City players does is wrong. That's fine, stick up for our own and all. But I'm tired of tackles like that from players like De Jong ending the careers of more skillful footballers. I've seen it time and again, I've seen it to my own friends. It's not pleasant.

1 - I think the Dutch coach is foolish for dropping him. I'm very surprised at this move. I hope RM doesn't have any such thoughts. We need this player.

2 - I find it plain strange that people thing De Jong should be blameless for this. Totally blameless. His actions deserve some form of repercussion. What? I dunno. But blameless?? Good lord, he through himself clean through a player full force and broke his leg shit sake!!

I think this boils down to the type of football you want to watch. I have no interest in watching the type of football you want to watch, where no-one is allowed to go anywhere near a skillful player just in case he's about to do something brilliant. Defenders and DM's should have their job description changed - they are no longer allowed to go and win the ball back, unless they can do it without making any form of contact with the player who had it.

Coz trust me, if you get your way and tackles start being measured on outcomes and unmeasurable concepts such as excessive force, we will have litigation after litigation - meaning only one thing - a game without tackling.

As I say, not something I want to watch.<br /><br />-- Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:50 am --<br /><br />As if to prove my point (above) FIFA's Medical Chief has just stuck his beak in talking of 'criminality in football' - the game 'most' of us love is at a very dangerous moment here

NIGEL de Jong is yet to apologise to Hatem Ben Arfa – almost a week after his tackle put him in hospital.

And Ben Arfa's representative, Simon Stainrod, has dismissed reports the winger had rejected a plea from the Manchester City midfielder to see him in hospital.

Stainrod says the only contact from the club has been from City's North East-born football administrator Brian Marwood, who had been keen to visit the on-loan winger himself.

Follow Gazette writer Miles Starforth on Twitter here

De Jong's continued silence on his challenge in last Sunday's 2-1 defeat at Eastlands has drawn heavy criticism.

And Stainrod is insistent he's unaware of any attempt from de Jong to visit the 23-year-old, who is now recuperating in Newcastle after a successful operation on a double fracture of his left leg.

"There's been no contact – de Jong hasn't been in touch at all," Stainrod told the Gazette.

"Brian Marwood – who is a top-class professional person – sent a note saying everyone at Manchester City wished him a speedy recovery, and a gift, but that's it.

"A visit from de Jong wasn't put to him. Brian wanted to visit, but he was on morphine at the time."

Asked if Ben Arfa would have seen him during his stay in Manchester Royal Infirmary, Stainrod added: "It's very difficult to answer that – I can't speak for Hatem.

"But the facts of the matter are he hasn't been in touch, and he hasn't apologised. Brian Marwood's been in touch, but not de Jong, who is the one who broke his leg."

De Jong's challenge, which saw the damage done by his trailing leg, has fuelled the debate which had already been raging over some of the tackles seen in the Premier League this season.

And former professional Stainrod, best known for his long association with Queens Park Rangers, has backed United's tough stance, the club having demanded action from the Football Association.

"I played football professionally for 20 years, and know the difference between a dangerous and malicious tackle, and one that isn't," added Stainrod.

"Newcastle United are absolutely right in what they did. I've spoken to people in European football who are dumbfounded that he got away with it.

"I'm also outraged that there are people on TV who have played the game have said it was just a heavy challenge. Tackles like that endanger people's careers."

As the FA considers Newcastle's letter, Ben Arfa has sought advice from former Sunderland striker Djibril Cisse, a team-mate of his from Olympique Marseille.

Cisse twice fought back from serious leg breaks, and Ben Arfa has drawn inspiration from him.

"He came out of hospital on Thursday night, and he's back at his flat in Newcastle," said Stainrod.

"He knows what he's got to do, and I think it's helped him that he's friends with Djibril Cisse. He had the same injury, and it took him five months to be back on the pitch.

"Hatem's got to work on it, and nobody knows better than Djibril, as he's done it twice.

"What will benefit Hatem is the work he'll do on his upper body, and it'll give him mental strength.

"When you don't have an injury like that, you don't know what the mental anguish is like. You appreciate what you've got. He'll be back fitter and stronger."

I have not read all the posts on this thread so bear with me.In my view it was not a bad tackle and even the referee didn,t think so.It was unfortunate but in no way is he a thug.We would have said if it was.Im glad that things have not ramped up a few gears and him getting a ban because of media pressure.We all wish Ben Arfa well and a speedy recovery and hope that NDJ can put this behind him and continue to do a great job for City.

HellasLEAF said:
I want someone to explain to me what De Jong is doing with his right leg. Why he has decided to follow clean through in this manner.

I want you to explain where he or anyone else is supposed to put their leg when doing a sliding tackle..! you can either bend it back or keep it straight... the latter being a 2 footed challenge...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.