1934 FA Cup final. Manchester City 2 Portsmouth 1

For those of us who are watching in black and white, what colour shirt did we wear?

My dear old dad always said he remembered being in town with my Nan when they paraded the trophy. He would’ve been 4 at the time… tall story probably, cool story definitely!!

The same year we gave Sheff wed their highest ever attendance when we met in the 5th round fa cup tie at Hillsborough.something to remember if u meet gobby wed fans who don't know their history.shuts them up immediately...

We of course then had our record attendance v Stoke in the quarter finals March 1934. ..still a record for any club side..

Portsmouth despatched with man Utd in the 3rd round of the competition,..a Utd team who were,at the time ,in the bottom 3 of the old second division..in obscurity ....a fact some of their fans should learn about ..

Frank Swift and Matt Busby just 2 of the big names playing for City ,
( altho the less said about Swifts error for the opening goal the better..)

And the ref Stanley Rous.taking charge of one of his last games before taking up a position with Fifa..whom he eventually became chairman of,and prob the most powerful man in world football.

The commentary for this clip really annoys me,but..different days and a more light hearted approach ....5 years later ,every young man in the old Empire Stadium, ..Inc on both teams, went off to war..

Different days indeed.....

The miserable foc commentating isn't a new thing then!?! That norf laandhan rec ground was already familiar then.......

It's of Its time. Perceived Pronunciation was the only accepted way to speak on Film and Radio. Ask Michael Caine.
Not many people know that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.