1956 FA Cup final Manchester City v Birmingham City

It was of course pre substitutes so Bert had to play on. How he did it only he knows, from memory he was not admitted to hospital till the Tuesday. Do not forget the year before we lost Jimmy Meadows to a broken leg against Newcastle. I don't think he ever played again.

That Bobby Johnstone seemed like a very tricky player, was he consistent with it too?

sign at the end: "Manchester U League Champions, Manchester C FA Cup winners, Manchester City will be United after today".

was this attitude typical/unusual of the 50s? this is 2 years pre-Munich

That Bobby Johnstone seemed like a very tricky player, was he consistent with it too?

sign at the end: "Manchester U League Champions, Manchester C FA Cup winners, Manchester City will be United after today".

My dad loved him as a player , he use to see him on the bus on the way to Maine road also said he liked a beer before playing

I was 10 when this final took place, my dad went on a charabanc trip to Wembley. He couldn't afford a second ticket for me so he arranged with a mate from Granada TV Rentals to have a "trial weekend" with a 10" B&W telly. He charged a tanner for anybody in the street who wanted to come and watch. Mother made tea and cake at HT, there were about 15 people all crammed into our "front parlour".
I watched the game wearing my school football kit (which was a shade of blue) and my Stanley Matthews football boots with wooden studs which wore down and the nails cut your feet - ah happy days.

He was sublime. There's a book about him, written by a City supporter from Stockport I think, aptly titled "The passing of an age." They loved him at Hibernian where he was one of the "famous five" forward line before he came to City. He was the City player that most took my eye as a kid.

As for the blues:reds thing, yes there was a certain amount of "we're all Manchester" feeling back then.

Quite funny watching City k.o...and immediately lose possession! Pep would be furious; ) .two brum players fly into the tackle on one City,no holds barred..showing just what that match meant to both sets of players in those days...a real bone -cruching double challenge..all 3 players go to ground,but all immediately get up and get on with the game....how times have changed...
A briiliant save right at the end by brums highly regarded keeper Gil Merrick ,denying Bobby Johnstone at point blank range from 6 yards out,incredible when u notice the keeper is completely out of position as Johnstone shapes to shoot.Examples of brave and defiant goal keeping from both Trautmann and Merrick in that short footage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.