1968 City v 2021 City.......Would the old team have any chance?

Last night was an incredible performance, but I still think the Centurions is the best City team ever.

.............Ederson
KW...Stones..Kompany..Delph
...........Fernandinho
....DeBruyne.......Silva
Sterling....Aguero.....Sané

That's pretty close to the perfect football team.
Current team is better

The modern team would win getting on for double figures. Even the top teams fro 15 20 years ago wouldn't be able to live with us.

I think a better question would be what would happen if today's team played against the old team on 1968 pitches, balls and kit with referees from that period. Imagine Neymar - They would kick him into the stand if he started his roly poli play acting. Would be a danger of Citys current team being bullied. But I still think modern fitness would prevail in the end.

I remember Graham Souness saying that the 70s team that Liverpool had would hold their own with today’s until about 75 minutes and then get thrashed because the fitness levels are just so much better these days. I think the same would apply to our 68 team. And also as novel and creative as Malcolm Alison was they would have no idea what players like Cancelo and Edison were up to. Clearly love both squads though

The modern team would win getting on for double figures. Even the top teams fro 15 20 years ago wouldn't be able to live with us.

I think a better question would be what would happen if today's team played against the old team on 1968 pitches, balls and kit with referees from that period. Imagine Neymar - They would kick him into the stand if he started his roly poli play acting. Would be a danger of Citys current team being bullied. But I still think modern fitness would prevail in the end.
Or let the current team have a couple of pints a day and go on the lash at the weekends for a month and eat as many pizzas and pies that they want with just an hour every couple of days in the gym so the fitness levels would match then it would be a real contest.

They would struggle against a league 2 team, it is a different game now.

A relative of mine was a pro through the 60s and 70s, including a spell playing in the old first division and even Europe. He happily admits that today’s worst PL teams would murder the best sides from back then. They simply couldn’t keep up physically.

Depends on what interpretation of the laws we use. It was a contact sport in 68.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.