1969 FA Cup Final - 50 years ago today! (26/4)

First game I can remember watching on television - at a neighbours house I think as my Dad wasn't interested in football at the time. But he did take us to see the victory parade - on the A34 at Heald Green, did they get off the train at Wilmslow and travel into the City Centre?

My missus is from Leicester - she has less fond memories of that match.

Wow ! Can't believe it was so long ago, I remember the year before at Filbert Street getting beat 4-3, talking to the Leicester fans saying "Next year we'll beat you and win the cup" ! Loved the Final !
1968-69%20fa%20cup%20final%20train%20to%20london.jpg

I h
Just looked it up & I was wrong.
Not saying who it was but I must admit that as far as I can recall he wasn't that good on the day. It was 50 years ago, though !
Aven't looked it up either, but iirc, it was Alan Clarke, then Leics CF.
I think Glynn Pardoe was the best on the field that day.

It was my first Wembley match with City. I had been before for England v Portugal in the World Cup and United v Benfica (cough). (I did get my ticket from Benfica!)

City seemed to draw Leicester in Cups all the time back then. City drew them in the League Cup in 1965-66 winning 3-1. They also drew them in the FA Cup that season drawing 2-2 at Maine Road and winning the replay 1-0 at Filbert Street. City drew them again in the FA Cup in 1966-67 winning 2-1 at home. They drew them in the Cup in 1967-68 with a 0-0 draw at Maine Road and a 4-3 defeat away. The Final in 1968-69 was the third FA Cup meeting in three seasons.

I managed to collect enough vouchers to get a ticket for the final. My mate had a season ticket and collected the vouchers. This helped us to to get tickets for my Mum and Dad and they drove to the match. We decided to avoid the motorway but ended up with a flat tyre on my Mother's Vauxhall Viva on a narrow country road. We eventually got there on time.

I went back to Wembley the following season in the League Cup and also in 1974 and 1976. That was it for a considerable time. I had left Manchester and couldn't get a ticket for the 1981 Finals, although I did make the Villa Park Semi-Final against Ipswich.

Next month will be my 10th visit to Wembley in recent years despite not getting near a ticket for the Semi-Final and Final in 2011 or the Final in 2012.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.