1969 FA Cup Final - 50 years ago today! (26/4)

I was 18 first trip to Wembley, no ticket I am sure I paid a fiver for a 12 shilling 6 pence ticket in the City end behind the goal, Great Day.
One thing I do remember was how disappointed I was walking down Wembley Way looking at the state of the Wembley so dull and dreary.

No idea..... I think that the season ended earlier in those days. European competitions had something like 4 rounds and it was the final. It was the FA Cup on the Saturday, European Cup on the Wednesday and the Home Internationals the following Saturday / Wednesday / Saturday. I always used to think the Home Internationals were at the beginning of May.

What is interesting is that when City won the Cup in 69, we were still also the current League Champions from 68 (hence that picture of Tony Book with the League, FA Cup and Charity Shield together! Sorry can't post it)
Leeds won the League (I think) on the Monday so for the two days, City held all three trophies!
Ive got that framed pic.its special.

Yep, Alan Clarke was a bit of a darling for the papers at the time so was probably awarded MOTM before KO. Several players had a better game IMO. Pardoe, Buzzer, Dowd, Nellie, Lochhead, Nish, Rodrigues all spring to mind.

The FAC final was often played before the end of the normal League season. At the time it wasn’t particularly unusual.
Was the Cup Final scheduled to be at the end of the season though? I don't recall a full league programme taking place beyond the FA Cup final in the 70's / 80's but do recall the odd one or two fixtures that couldn't be scheduled prior to the final taking place - usually the game that should have been played on the semi final day or if there had been a fixture pile up due to bad weather.
City played away at Anfield on the Tuesday (I think) after losing to Spurs in the 81 Cup final replay on the Thursday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.