1984-86 Black & Red Away Shirt

The smart black & red shirt which we wore during the late 60’s was the brainchild of maverick assistant boss Malcolm Allison, who sought to emulate the style and success of AC Milan. As it turned out, the experiment was a roaring success, City wore the change strip against Leicester when they lifted the 1969 FA Cup Final, then in their ensuing 1970 ECWC Final victory in Vienna against Gornik Zabrze and, just nine days later, in their League Cup win over West Brom. No wonder the Milanese look has kept cropping up in various forms as City’s second or third kit, including the 2011/12 Premier League title season success.

Here's a few styles in my collection (1) Manchester City Match Worn Shirts | Facebook

View attachment 18499
I still have have the 6th one along, worn it last week. Umbro knew how to make shirts that weren't cheesy or bobbins, I'd love them to make our kits again.

A red & black kit bought by my mum in 1971 for my Christmas present was the reason I’m here. Pleaded with her to sew a no 8 on the back which she did. Still got it. Of all the post 69 versions my fave is the 2011/12 version. One of which I still wear to play 6 aside in.
All apropos of nothing.

Although I loved the black and red and stripe away kit back in the day, I always wondered why we chose Rag colours in the first place. Suffice to say I hope we never wear them again.
It was big Mal who thought sky blue was dull. City indulged him and allowed two extra strips to be introduced, which were copies of AC Milan, and Inter Milan.
Mal pulled off the same trick at Palace, introducing a copy of Barca's strip instead of a pedestrian red and white strip. He also made up the name "Eagles" ; up to then they were known as the "Glaziers"

Last edited:
A red & black kit bought by my mum in 1971 for my Christmas present was the reason I’m here. Pleaded with her to sew a no 8 on the back which she did. Still got it. Of all the post 69 versions my fave is the 2011/12 version. One of which I still wear to play 6 aside in.
All apropos of nothing.
Mum did they same thing for me only mine was a few years later. Loved the sew on numbers. Xmas was a giddy time for me because I always asked for a kit.

Wondered if we might bring out a special red/black strip for the Charity Shield game against Leicester, a nod to our Wembley meeting in 1969.

Mum did they same thing for me only mine was a few years later. Loved the sew on numbers. Xmas was a giddy time for me because I always asked for a kit.
I got the home kit for my birthday and the away for xmas each year, and in between new kits id be asking for the england one, brazil, italy, valencia once, alsorts

first kit was 1979 and got every year up til about the mid 90s.
had em all stored at home til i went travelling in 96 , whilst away mum moved house and dropped them off at the chairty shop as “they didnt fit me anymore”.

i still weep about it now!
specially as my 6 year old lad has started playing and i picture him running around in the 1982 home kit !!

Last edited:
Replica going for £30 at the moment on ebay.

Anybody know where these are from? Only retro one I can't find on DHgate. Ordered purple away

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.