20 year anniversary of 9/11 this weekend.

I was working at a client's in Manchester.

I was coding away in a small multi person office, in my 'zone', and then it dawned on me, that no one had spoken to me for a few hours and I'd hardly heard anything for awhile.

I span my chair round, and faced the room, they were all clustered around a computer screen... I walked over and saw their browser open on CNN... (very simple and sparse web page due to overloading of 2001's bandwith with everyone in offices watching) with the burning towers...

It took a few questions to ascertain what had happened...

No work done from that point, no comprehension.

Exponentially more. But I think there'd have been more deaths. People probably would have stopped to film it all rather than get away before, and as the towers came down.
Possibly but more people would have known what was going on, including on the planes, and that could have saved a considerable number of lives.

Ive been watching so many videos and documentary’s from 9/11 this week. It still stuns me now seeing the planes flying into the buildings then collapsing. Must have been so surreal in New York that day, unforgettable moment in our lifetimes.

There was one on ITV in the middle of the week called 9/11: life under attack, similar to the 102 minutes one that has been shown on Channel 4 many times, just amature footage edited together, no talking heads or explanation & very powerful stuff because of that. I thought I had seen all the key stuff from that day, but no - there was new stuff on that ITV doc and that surprised me.

I was working in a high school on 9/11 and it was about 3.30-4pm UK time when stuff started to come through. People came into a departmental meeting that I was in and told us to check out the ICT room - all the computers were on and the internet was frozen on BBC news, I will never forget that.

It's the JFK moment for our generation.

Was stood on 6th Avenue in Greenwich Village with a clear view of the towers burning, people wailing and crying and one guy even in that moment yelling how other time to go and kill all the Arabs. Woman I worked with had a husband who worked in the WTC, she didn't know till he came through the door that night whether he was alive or dead. Then for days afterwards there was silence that hung over the city, part respectful and part fearful.

I have quite different memories of it happening than most of the people I know, in that I don't actually have any memories of it happening. I was living in Australia at the time and because of the time difference it really happened overnight there (I think the first plane hit about 11pm Sydney time).
So where most people I know watched it unfold minute by minute and hour by hour, by the time I woke up everything had, for want of a better word, finished. I do vividly remember getting up in the morning, putting the TV on and going into the kitchen to make a brew. I was half watching the TV and genuinely had the thought that it was an odd time for them to be showing an action movie. It probably took 2 or 3 minutes to suss out what was happening.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.