2018 European Championships

I wouldn't be surprised if London bids for the 2022 European Championships.

They could stage the whole lot at the Olympic Park rather than splitting it between two cities.

It would have the added advantage of every single session being packed out as well.
I was saying that only today. We pack the stadiums out for these events which makes a huge difference. It’s a great concept pulling it all together like a mini olympics and I imagine has massively boosted the viewing figures.

Adam Peaty is on another planet to everyone else, makes it look so easy.
Isn't he just, I remember him saying he was losing interest in the sport and getting side tracked at 16 or 17, Then he totally knuckled down and commited everything to swimming. What a great decision that was.

I reckon I’d give him a good race in the 1500, my god he was slow. No chance of him winning anything in the future unless he significantly improves on that 1500.

I dont mind the split. Would think that for some countries that dont have the big stadiums to host some of the bigger events then why not have a co host. Some of the smaller viewing competitions can go there.

It's been really good so far, I hope they can add one or two other sports for the next one.Would love to see Boxing included for a start.

It's been really good so far, I hope they can add one or two other sports for the next one.Would love to see Boxing included for a start.

The danger is that it will just become a second rate Olympics if too many sports are added.

Not to mention that the number of countries that can actually stage it will be drastically reduced if it gets too big.

I dont mind the split. Would think that for some countries that dont have the big stadiums to host some of the bigger events then why not have a co host. Some of the smaller viewing competitions can go there.

It just feels like two separate events though when different sports are staged in different countries.

I'm surprised that Germany didn't bid to stage the whole thing.

The danger is that it will become a second rate Olympics though if too many sports are added.

Not to mention that the number of countries that can stage it will be drastically reduced if it gets too big.

Yeah, but if you are being harsh, it already is a “second rate Olympics”, but considering the real thing only comes around once every 4 years, I’m happy with the likes of this and the Commonwealth Games fulfilling that role in the meantime.

In terms of hosting, you may well be right, but if all the continents, Europe has the most developed infrastructure, and many, many cities capable of hosting a multi-sports event imho

Yeah, but if you are being harsh, it already is a “second rate Olympics”, but considering the real thing only comes around once every 4 years, I’m happy with the likes of this and the Commonwealth Games fulfilling that role in the meantime.

In terms of hosting, you may well be right, but if all the continents, Europe has the most developed infrastructure, and many, many cities capable of hosting a multi-sports event imho

They're already struggling to find someone to host the Commonwealth Games now, so i don't really see much of a future for it if this new look European Championships takes off.

The European Championships aren't really a second rate Olympics because it's just a selected few sports in which a number of European countries are competitive, but it could become a bit of a farce if they start adding the more obscure Olympic sports.

In terms of hosting, a lot of European cities will have an athletics stadium and an indoor arena but how many have a velodrome?

It just feels like two separate events though when different sports are staged in different countries.

I'm surprised that Germany didn't bid to stage the whole thing.
They're already struggling to find someone to host the Commonwealth Games now, so i don't really see much of a future for it if this new look European Championships takes off.

The European Championships aren't really a second rate Olympics because it's just a selected few sports in which a number of European countries are competitive, but it could become a bit of a farce if they start adding the more obscure Olympic sports.

In terms of hosting, a lot of European cities will have an athletics stadium and an indoor arena but how many have a velodrome?

Well, you set me the challenge... ;-)
There are 21 different European countries with at least 1 indoor velodrome currently in use (counting England, Scotland, Wales as 3), some countries have many more than one, so as to my point about the level of infrastructure already available in Europe, I think this shows it is more than adequate.

As for the future of the Commonwealth Games being at risk, I’m more inclined to agree about that. The thing is, in terms of a wider point about the Olympics it’s far too bloated for me anyway, in terms of the costs of all the IOC paraphernalia that goes along with it - especially the opening and closing ceremony costs, which are a joke.

I just think overall you’re being a bit harsh on the concept of a multi sports Euro champs, which for me is positive news.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.