23 years ago today...

manimanc

The IRA detonated a bomb on corporation street, probably helped renovate the area in hindsight.
Mad that the post box didn't budge an inch.
EFXboSd.jpg

aSeEdoe.jpg

Was getting my haircut in town - less half a mile away.

I remember waking up with a bad head from the Fri night session and switching on the TV to be met with a video of a plume of smoke above the arndale and thinking WTF, my old lady worked in there!
I couldn’t contact her all day as she had been taken to hospital with cuts.
I thought she was a goner.
Horrible day.
Im sure it was the euro 96 as we were on the beer with a load of Germans the night before.

I was at Chester-le -Street watching Lancs beat Durham , match was wrapped up in time to get to watch the footy in the nearest pub.

Was 17 then, and what strikes me most about it is that neither I or anyone I knew was in the least bit put off about going to town because of it.

Wasn't in town on the day but my now wife was in superdrug she tells me and heard and felt the explosion, she also says the confusion amongst shoppers was odd, with some resenting being told to leave the store and go home presumably as they didn't know what was happening, and others panicking immediately.

Incredible the regeneration since, I'd be hesitant to say it was because of the bomb not wanting to give them any credit at all for what our wonderful city has achieved.

The company I worked for at the time ended up working on the royal exchange for about 18 months or so. We were one of the first in there to make the area and shops safe so the owners could come and collect valuables/money from safes etc. Ended up being a great job to be on out of a shit situation

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.