23 years ago today...

Was dropping the missus in town. Normally dropped her off near M&S just where the van had been left. Couldn’t get near cos of the road closures so went down Dantzic st behind the printworks, which was not there then, still the old mirror building.

Must have been somewhere near what is now the back entrance to the printworks when it detonated. It felt like it came up out of the ground and I’m convinced my car left the floor. All kinds of rubble and glass falling down everywhere. I looked up and the plume had completely covered the arndale tower and I thought that had come down

I had no idea that the area had been cleared so my first thought was there must have been hundreds killed. Then I remembered the Warrington bomb where there was a second device so I turned the car round and got out of there quickly

Missus was distraught and I was shaking for hours. Needed a few pints watching England v Scotland to calm the nerves!!

Yes. Go to any Irish pub / society in England and scratch below the surface and all the rebel songs come out - believe me I KNOW.
A disgracefully generalised sweeping statement there. Most Manchester Irish have nothing to do with it. Believe me I know as for much of my life I’ve been involved with that community.

Living in Hong Kong. The local English speaking news channel covered it briefly and said that nobody had been killed, so I thought it must only have been a small device (like many before) . It was quite a while until I realised how 'massive' the bomb was ... and how it would play a role in transforming the city into the modern metropolis that Manchester is today.
It just shows how something so negative can become the catalyst for something so positive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.