23rd September 1989

15 years-old, my first derby game stood on the Kippax with my mates, my first time seeing us beat the bastards outside of the FA Youth Cup Final and the Arthur Albiston testimonial that summer.

Still remember to this day trying to climb back on to the wall halfway down the Kippax after the opening goal and then suddenly seeing a fucking wave of delirium heading right for me as the second goal went in moments later.

Absolutely frightening. Absolutely perfect.
Delirium is about right. I don’t think I’ve ever felt that same sense of breathless hysteria that I experienced when the 2nd went in that day. Truly amazing scenes. Even Yaya’s SF winner or Sergio’s goal weren’t quite the same - must be to do with being young I suppose.

Happy 5 - 1 day everyone.

Decreasing in number yearly but I was there, high in the Kippax getting all the buttons on my new coat ripped off.
I'm not sure id seen us beat United at Maine Road until that time.
Previously I remember Stapleton scoring a couple once in a 0 - 2 (83) but the time lines for games is all mixed up these days - I could go and statto search but cant be arsed.
Oh go on then i'll check - we won at home in 74,75,77,79,81 before that, i dont remember 81 and earlier - too young or too far away.
After a win at OT in 74 we didn't win there again for 34 years, yikes, plenty of honourable draws though, remember Clive WIlsons and unforgettable screamer from Ian Brightwell.

My dad wouldn't let me go to the Charlton game, said I was too young (10!)

What he really meant was he wanted to go on the piss with his mates that day.

I still remember him coming home the day Luton sent us down and not really understanding the magnitude of that result at the time.
Charlton was my first game. Amazing experience.

A scene i love from that game …

behind the north stand goal there is a dad n lad sat on the track, im guessing they maybe took refuge there when it kicked off in the north stand.
Anyway, when morleys goal goes in just watch them jump n down together. Its a beautiful moment between (i presume) father and som and i bet they still talk about watching that game together on the track all these years later.

have a watch… bet you havent spotted it before

Attachments

• CE806798-2D2C-4E0C-B4E8-355A0ECB236A.jpeg
    CE806798-2D2C-4E0C-B4E8-355A0ECB236A.jpeg
    704.1 KB · Views: 33
Impossible to tell with any certainty, but Hichcliffe’s free kick, which led up to the first, was arguably a moving ball.
Pretty sure it was and VAR has just confirmed it but who gives a shit. Great day, rags were battered on and off the pitch despite what they claimed. Was it Bernard Halford who sorted out Trafford's finest with their North Stand seats or Mikey Williams RIP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.