23rd September 1989

Great memories for many, but are we not being a bit small-time to keep going on about this one-off game that changed nothing for us that season?
Yes, it is a bit small-time. I’d be surprised if the Rags have a 5-0 thread over on Red Issue celebrating the anniversary of that 1994 game.

In 1989 United were shit and were NOWHERE NEAR the club they were looked upon to be in the decades after. United were an average club through the 70s and 80s who won the odd Cup and weren’t even the last Manchester club to win the league title. Both of us finished in the bottom half that season, in 13th and 14th level on 48 points. It’s like Wolves beating Palace 5-1 now. The rest of the league probably didn’t even look twice.

But it was a derby and for us on the day in the weeks after it was fucking mint!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is a bit small-time. I’d be surprised if the Rags have a 5-0 thread over on Red Issue celebrating the anniversary of that 1994 game.

In 1989 United were shit and were NOWHERE NEAR the club they were looked upon to be in the decades after. United were an average club through the 70s and 80s who won the odd Cup and weren’t even the last Manchester club to win the league title. Both of us finished in the bottom half that season, in 13th and 14th level on 48 points. It’s like Wolves beating Palace 5-1 now. The rest of the league probably didn’t even look twice.

But it was a derby and for us on the day in the weeks after it was fucking mint!
There was a bit more to it than that mate. They were like City of about 2009: they’d just spent more money than any other club ever had trying to build a title winning team. The press was full of how expensive their team was.

One weird memory I have that always reminds me of that was the week after at the home game, a bloke behind me says to his mate “The pitch looks good today, doesn’t it?” To which his mate fired back: “It should do, it had £13 million pounds of shit on it last week!”.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.