24 Hour Party People

gagiesotherhalf said:
wrongun73 said:
tony wilson wasnt a northerner but must have moved here at some point and loved the place.
he championed everything good about the north west, not just music but for example the commonwealth games bid, especially the building of an 80000 seater stadium which city would have had.
in the end wembley came in with a last minute bid and the money was duly handed over to the capital! meaning we got the scaled down version we see today.

Wrong!
Anthony H Wilson was educated at De La Salle College, Salford
He lived in Marple, if I remember rightly and went off to Cambridge, to return to work for Granada.
Wilson was born 20 February 1950 in Hope Hospital, Salford, Lancashire, but moved to Marple, Stockport at the age of 5.[3] His maternal grandfather was German. After passing his Eleven plus exam, Wilson attended the De La Salle Grammar School in Weaste, Salford. He developed a love of literature and language, ignited by a performance of Hamlet at Stratford upon Avon.[4] Wilson started his professional career in 1968 at the age of 17, working as an English and Drama teacher at Blue Coat School in Oldham.[5] He later graduated with a degree in English from Jesus College, Cambridge.[3]

tueartsboots said:
gagiesotherhalf said:
Wrong!
He lived in Marple, if I remember rightly and went off to Cambridge, to return to work for Granada.
Wilson was born 20 February 1950 in Hope Hospital, Salford, Lancashire, but moved to Marple, Stockport at the age of 5.[3] His maternal grandfather was German. After passing his Eleven plus exam, Wilson attended the De La Salle Grammar School in Weaste, Salford. He developed a love of literature and language, ignited by a performance of Hamlet at Stratford upon Avon.[4] Wilson started his professional career in 1968 at the age of 17, working as an English and Drama teacher at Blue Coat School in Oldham.[5] He later graduated with a degree in English from Jesus College, Cambridge.[3]

i stand corrected

I was in and around town at the time and I have known some of the people mentioned on this thread. It amazes me now the passion it all inspires. It was what it was and it wasn't all that it has been cracked up to be.

tueartsboots said:
gagiesotherhalf said:
Wrong!

the house in the middle of nowhere he has in 24h pp is up delph way, maybe even saddleworth....i'm sure he moved up there in the early 80's

ifiwasarichfan said:
I was in and around town at the time and I have known some of the people mentioned on this thread. It amazes me now the passion it all inspires. It was what it was and it wasn't all that it has been cracked up to be.

Agreed - the Cyprus Tavern, The Berlin and even the Band on The Wall were always a far better night than the Hacienda.

gagiesotherhalf said:
wrongun73 said:
tony wilson wasnt a northerner but must have moved here at some point and loved the place.
he championed everything good about the north west, not just music but for example the commonwealth games bid, especially the building of an 80000 seater stadium which city would have had.
in the end wembley came in with a last minute bid and the money was duly handed over to the capital! meaning we got the scaled down version we see today.

Wrong!

I did my A Levels at De La Salle, Weaste! Why did I not know he went there as well? I think I need to do a bit more swotting up before I go on Mastermind.

Danbert said:
ifiwasarichfan said:

Agreed - the Cyprus Tavern, The Berlin and even the Band on The Wall were always a far better night than the Hacienda.

from my point of view there was nowhere better, shelleys was good till it got too well known but the hac, when on form was great imo

Danbert said:
ifiwasarichfan said:

What?

If you wanted to drink warm fizzy lager and stand with a bunch of students nodding your head to yet another jangly indie band, maybe.

The Hac at it's height - 88-90 was a lifechanging experience for many.

It wasn't the only club around, there were some good ones and loads of bad ones.

But it was the first in Manchester to introduce us kids to something really new, really fresh and really fucking good. If you stood on the dance floor at 3am E'd off your nut, hugging a fit stranger while Voodoo Ray boomed around the speakers and the whole place rocked, you'd understand.

Didsbury Dave said:
Danbert said:

What?

If you wanted to drink warm fizzy lager and stand with a bunch of students nodding your head to yet another jangly indie band, maybe.

The Hac at it's height - 88-90 was a lifechanging experience for many.

It wasn't the only club around, there were some good ones and loads of bad ones.

But it was the first in Manchester to introduce us kids to something really new, really fresh and really fucking good. If you stood on the dance floor at 3am E'd off your nut, hugging a fit stranger while Voodoo Ray boomed around the speakers and the whole place rocked, you'd understand.

I think I need to qualify my previuos statement I was around the 1979-83 era not a decade later. By the time The Dance thing started I had a kid, a Mortgage and was going through Divorce number one. " Cyprus Tavern" and the Russell were excellent nights though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.