25 years ago yesterday (25/1/1994)

jimharri

Missed the anniversary by a day (damn it)....

Ignoring who he played for, what do you think the reaction/fallout would be if it happened today? Would a player get more support today, given the current climate? Say, a black player was on the touchline and someone in the stand racially abused him, and he then jumped into the stand and twatted the neanderthal. Would he then be out of the game for 9 months (6 actual playing months) like Cantona was? And yes, I realise the abuse Cantona got was more likely xenophobic rather than racist. Which would then beg the question; if two players were abused (one racially, and the other one in a xenophobic way) and they both reacted like Cantona did, would they be dealt with differently?

The fallout would depend on who he played for and what team the abusive fan supported

I would like to think the punishment was more than doing community service for the fans of the team you play for !

He was banned for 9 months that's the same for 'missing' a drugs test.

In some respect he was lucky the Palace 'fan' was a mentalist, it could have been a normal (for want of a better tag) he kicked.

From what I remember he did nothing much more than thousands of fans did at that time.

As for how a footballer would be dealt with now the cynic in me would suggest the nationality & team he played for.

That Dipper **** Robertson gets away with worse every game..!

See he picked up his first booking of the season the other day.. Farcical..!

If there was anyone who needs kung fooing into next week, it's that twat..!

Didn't know Del & Rodney were Palace fans.

EPHcri_WoAMydvi

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.