26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
When played for their previous clubs, Mahrez and Grealish used to beat full-back quite often and they didn't seem to care about losing the ball. But now they prefer to keep the ball and do some back passes when there is no clear good chance. I think it's just Pep asks them to do so.

It seems Pep doesn't like to use those speedy monsters who always like to beat full-back in a 1v1 situation now. He just wants 100% possession and always tries to avoid losing ball control.
Which is almost certainly why we lost, and have never replaced, our most dangerous winger in years, Leroy Sane.

Hugging the touchline won't produce exciting wing play no matter what anyone thinks.

When played for their previous clubs, Mahrez and Grealish used to beat full-back quite often and they didn't seem to care about losing the ball. But now they prefer to keep the ball and do some back passes when there is no clear good chance. I think it's just Pep asks them to do so.

It seems Pep doesn't like to use those speedy monsters who always like to beat full-back in a 1v1 situation now. He just wants 100% possession and always tries to avoid losing ball control.
There is little doubt that our wingers do what is asked of them. I just think it’s arguable that we aren’t any better for it.

In 17/18 we played the best, most exciting football I have ever seen in the Prem. Yes, our games got a bit away from us at times, but overall we were absolutely sensational and 100 points and the title backs it up.

18/19 felt like a hybrid of 17/18 and the City we see now. Domestic treble winners and possibly a bit tougher than the 17/18 side.

Current City is still an amazing team but nowhere near as exciting to watch.

All iterations have the same thing in common…none won the CL. You could argue that this more solid side looks more likely to win it than 17/18 but not winning it, is not winning it, no matter how it pans out.

It’s all about personal opinions, but my own is I would much rather watch 17/18 City than the current side. For me, the easiest way to get towards that side again, is to get back to having wingers who consistently try and beat a man, instead of being obsessed with keeping the ball.

Yes because he got 100 points the last time he used them. ( Leroy & Raheem )

That’s completely on Sane though.. he has a rotten attitude. It had zero to do with ability. He might even have a higher ceiling then Mahrez. But Mahrez patiently waited for his turn without a bad attitude.. anyhow. KDB had a poor game but you never know when he can pull magic out of the bag, and his poor performance had more to do with the zonal marking of Benzema in dangerous areas, which tired the man city midfield and gave space to the Madrid midfield. Huge mistake. The Madrid midfield lacks athleticism without valverde, and can get run over easily.

Subbing him and Mahrez was a bad decision. City were breaking apart Madrid for the last 20minutes, and this would’ve finally gave city chances to come back and probably score more.

For one it wasn’t the attack that shit the bed. Militao and alaba are shaky but Courtois is a world class keeper, and mendy is very strong defensively. So essentially, it’s normal to have a couple chances saved. Problem is your defense and goalkeeper..

Ederson is a great keeper but.. and the defense can’t rely on him to bail them out, he’s obviously not bad. But compare him to thibu and you’ll see the difference. Kyle Walker patches up a ton of holes in the defense. Without him, you’ll see the goals really leak.

lastly. The lack of a true 9 who can hold up the ball like Lewa or Benzema causes turnovers in dangerous areas and also slows ball progression in fast transitions. It also strangles the wingers and KDB of space.

There is little doubt that our wingers do what is asked of them. I just think it’s arguable that we aren’t any better for it.
How does a manager organize a team that is possession based if he has two players with carts blanche to lose possession while we are committed to the attack and vulnerable to them losing the ball?
It’s all about personal opinions, but my own is I would much rather watch 17/18 City than the current side. For me, the easiest way to get towards that side again, is to get back to having wingers who consistently try and beat a man, instead of being obsessed with keeping the ball.
I’m in agreement that I would like to see some players free to take on their man, but I would prefer it not to be Cancelo trying yet another nutmeg on the halfway line, as opposed to Grealish, Foden, Sterling or Mahrez down the line.

However, my personal opinion is that some of the players have yet to learn when to stop playing Rondo in and around the box and have a crack!

Personally, I think Sterling, Jesus, and Grealish need to be a little more selfish in the box when the 100% Guaranteed “pass for a goal” isn’t on! Mahrez, too, at times, although he’s more likely to be a greedy bastard than most!

I think anyone in our front 6 (plus Cancelo & Walker, when presented with the right opportunity) should have “Licence to Shoot!” rather than taking another touch, and another, and yet another, before passing because the opportunity that presented itself has gone!

But then, that’s just my opinion. ;-)

Sometimes, being attached to halcyon days of yore stops people enjoying the moment. We have had great teams, have a great team, and have the prospect of an even better team coming. Enjoy it while we can because every single club in England has achieved less than us, for ten years.

In 17/18 we played the best, most exciting football I have ever seen in the Prem. Yes, our games got a bit away from us at times, but overall we were absolutely sensational and 100 points and the title backs it up.

18/19 felt like a hybrid of 17/18 and the City we see now. Domestic treble winners and possibly a bit tougher than the 17/18 side.

Current City is still an amazing team but nowhere near as exciting to watch.

All iterations have the same thing in common…none won the CL. You could argue that this more solid side looks more likely to win it than 17/18 but not winning it, is not winning it, no matter how it pans out.

In 17/18 we had Otamendi as the king pin of our defence

there was also no competition to us in the league with Chelsea and Liverpool being miles off, United even finished 19 points behind

we could afford to be hung ho and try to out score opponents, it was great to watch but wouldn’t cut it against a much tougher premier league

we are a lot closer to the champions league now than we were then , with 1/4 finals being our level

once we add a world class cutting edge to this team we‘ll be very difficult to stop

imagine bolting on 13/14 Aguero to this team , frightening for the opposition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.