On This Day 3rd May 1998: Stoke City (A) Relegation Heartbreak.

Blue5964

1000008148.jpg
On This Day 3rd May 1998 Manchester City were relegated to the Third Tier of English football:

Britannia Stadium on the final day of the 1997/98 campaign City needed to win and other results go our way in order to avoid relegation.

It was unthinkable that a club of City’s size could possibly find ourselves in the Third Tier of English football and for a time, it seemed we might pull off a dramatic last-day escape.

Defeat for Stoke meant demotion but although Joe Royle’s men romped to a 5-2 victory, it quickly became clear that the two teams City had needed to drop points, Portsmouth and Port Vale, had both won.

As a consequence, relegation to the Third Tier of English football for the first time in the Club’s history was duly confirmed.

Last edited:
On This Day 3rd May 1998 Manchester City were relegated to the Third Tier of English football:

Britannia Stadium on the final day of the 1997/98 campaign City needed to win and other results go our way in order to avoid relegation.

It was unthinkable that a club of City’s size could possibly find ourselves in the Third Tier of English football and for a time, it seemed we might pull off a dramatic last-day escape.

Defeat for Stoke meant demotion but although Joe Royle’s men romped to a 5-2 victory, it quickly became clear that the two teams City had needed to drop points, Portsmouth and Port Vale, had both won.

As a consequence, relegation to the Third Tier of English football for the first time in the Club’s history was duly confirmed.

Horrible day

Well I guess I've been supporting City for 26 years then!

I always reference this game as when I started supporting the club, I'm weirdly quite proud of the fact it was at one of the lowest ebbs of the clubs history.
The 1955 defeat in the cup final did it for me.

Ha. Mad bad day.
Got bricked to fuck coming out of the ground. Some wasteland full of rubble right outside the stadium was a great idea.
Went out in Castlefield as soon as we got back, drank til I was sick
CITY

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.