#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
people always shit on him after a bad performance but i don't care, you cannot convince me that this man is even the smallest problem for manchester city. we have a left back, he's locked that position down.

We have to stop thinking of him as a full-back. He's a playmaker who occupies roughly the same space as a full-back. Can't judge him on his defending too harshly as, as bizarre as it sounds, that's not really what he's there for.

We have to stop thinking of him as a full-back. He's a playmaker who occupies roughly the same space as a full-back. Can't judge him on his defending too harshly as, as bizarre as it sounds, that's not really what he's there for.
I think alot of people are missing this. We don't need a left side Walker when we dominate possession, he's doing the job asked of him superbly

I especially loved how he didn't overcommit himself. Probably just an instruction or a hunch but anyway, he kept it safe most of the time unless a real outlet was there to play for. He lost the ball once in a shit situation but apart from that he just bossed it.

I've joked that I don't know what youth coach convinced Ederson he was a keeper, but I appreciate their idiocy, because they gave us such a uniquely talented player.

I feel the same about Cancelo. I'm not sure who first told him he was a full back but damned if we're not reaping the benefits of that decision.

He's got the poise, and technique on the ball of a midfielder, but can whip in crosses like a winger. He has the necessary size and pace. He can push forward and join our attacks while maintaining his defensive solidarity..

He's not perfect, and is prone to the odd error and lapse in concentration. But he can do things no other RB/LB/wing back/inverted full back/etc. can do and I think hes perfect for us.

Zinny is gonna have a tough time because with Walker able to defend and be the 3rd defender in a back 3, Cancelo is simply way too good a creator over him.

Zinny's left foot offers very good control though, so maybe we can slot Cancelo in midfield so both can play or the opposite where Zinny gets to try midfield.

Either way, a good problem to have I suppose.

Does show a real problem though in that Pep loves Walker as the fast defending full back (with the other fullback having slightly more freedom) and we need to find a replacement for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.