28 Years Ago Today

Just going back to the Charlton Game 5-1.Their keeper was called Lee Harmsworth then aged 12,poor lad didnt know what hit him!

Santiago Street . said:
Notts County away Bank Holiday Monday the first away game my old man let me go to without him.

If we won we were up. 12000 blues invaded Meadow Lane, most of them pissed as fuck on a boiling hot day. The terrace behind the goal was way overcrowded , massive surges all over the place, fantastic atmosphere.

In typical City style we were 3-0 down pretty quickly I think. Cue fences ripped down, pitch invasion, mounted police, fights everywhere, general fuckin chaos. I have a vague recollection, possibly imagined of Billy McNeill and Jimmy Frizz coming out to calm the fans down.

We lost 3-2 but that set us up for the unforgettable Charlton game the following Saturday

Aaah the good old days

Yes, I was there. It was mental. Mcneill did indeed come out to calm us all down and fences were ripped down. It was a beautiful sunny day and I'll never forget the bloke with the bugel, playing the Laughing Policeman, pretty much through the whole game :) Quality times. The Charlton game was brilliant. Total contrast to the Luton game :)

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Good ole days? Sounds horrendous!

A different time but it was great fun that day. Even a twatting off the coppers is remembered fondly.
My mate made it across the pitch all the way to the home end despite having a copper on a horse after him. He cleared the fence in a single bound..<br /><br />-- Wed May 08, 2013 2:01 pm --<br /><br />
Worksop Blue said:
On the plus side I won the match ball! .... Had it presented to me by Jimmy Frizzel after the game. It still has pride of place, at the back of the loft behind the Christmas Decks and a box of old VHS cassettes. I reckoned it might have been worth a few quid until I noticed Justin Fashanu's signature....

really thought you were gonna say jimmy saville then...

beehive_bob said:
toffee balls said:
Santiago Street . said:
Notts County away Bank Holiday Monday the first away game my old man let me go to without him.

If we won we were up. 12000 blues invaded Meadow Lane, most of them pissed as fuck on a boiling hot day. The terrace behind the goal was way overcrowded , massive surges all over the place, fantastic atmosphere.

In typical City style we were 3-0 down pretty quickly I think. Cue fences ripped down, pitch invasion, mounted police, fights everywhere, general fuckin chaos. I have a vague recollection, possibly imagined of Billy McNeill and Jimmy Frizz coming out to calm the fans down.

We lost 3-2 but that set us up for the unforgettable Charlton game the following Saturday

Aaah the good old days
You forgot to mention "Bill Pitchfork" though

Wow, someone else remembers that! Thought it was Harry, but anyway. PA announcement for a Mr. Harry Pitchfork, cue 12000 City fans singing there's only one Harry Pitchfork. Seem to remember that bloke with the tuba playing the laughing policeman at that game too.

it was billy pitchfork not harry - helped calm things down a bit that did

BringBackSwales said:
beehive_bob said:
toffee balls said:
You forgot to mention "Bill Pitchfork" though

Wow, someone else remembers that! Thought it was Harry, but anyway. PA announcement for a Mr. Harry Pitchfork, cue 12000 City fans singing there's only one Harry Pitchfork. Seem to remember that bloke with the tuba playing the laughing policeman at that game too.

it was billy pitchfork not harry - helped calm things down a bit that did

Fook yeah :D Haha forgot about that. Billy fookin Pitchfork and that fooker with his bugel playin The Laughing Policemen non stop. Absolute precious times. Jeez I feel old. So glad I was born when I was :)

gordondaviesmoustache said:
paulchapo said:
The Charlton game i remember they had a rookie goalie making his debut,just a kid and he froze on a couple of occasions against Paul Simpson leading to goals.I wonder what happened to him?
Rob Lee scored for Charlton.

I think from memory this was also (sadly) the same day as the Bradford City fire?

BringBackSwales said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
paulchapo said:
The Charlton game i remember they had a rookie goalie making his debut,just a kid and he froze on a couple of occasions against Paul Simpson leading to goals.I wonder what happened to him?
Rob Lee scored for Charlton.

I think from memory this was also (sadly) the same day as the Bradford City fire?

It was indeed ..........I remember getting home form the Charlton game being on such a high and walked in the door and me mam said look at that on the TV - from such a high to total shock and horror - I was 15 at the time and always remember that day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.