30 years ago today

Prestwich_Blue

3rd May 1979 - we were voting in a general election that would see Margaret Thatcher in power. No one is neutral about Thatcher; I reckon she did some things that needed doing but her constant desire for change for changes sake ruined anything she might have achieved. Despite coming from an ordinary family, she never really understood the mind of the working man/woman.

There's also no doubt she shifted the political spectrum to the point where even a Labour government follow what were initially some of here more extreme policies.

There was also her cringe-worthy speech on arriving in Downing St. "Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is despair, may we bring hope." Not quite Maggie.

Almost all politicians are all ultimately self serving. They ACT in order to get elected and then ACT to stay in their jobs. They represent nothing so much as themselves. All they are interested in is beating other politicians and winning pointless arguments in the process.

The best outcome at the next election would be a zero turnout. Voting for the bastards only encourages them.

We need to change the system in this country so that MPs are less tied to party politics and more concerned with actually representing the people who elected them.

mammutly said:
Almost all politicians are all ultimately self serving. They ACT in order to get elected and then ACT to stay in their jobs. They represent nothing so much as themselves. All they are interested in is beating other politicians and winning pointless arguments in the process.

The best outcome at the next election would be a zero turnout. Voting for the bastards only encourages them.

We need to change the system in this country so that MPs are less tied to party politics and more concerned with actually representing the people who elected them.
Tend to agree with that mammutly and would prefer to see candidates that you could judge purely on their record or abilities rather than the party they belonged to.

But Thatcher was probably one of the few not interested in herself. She had a clear vision based on her dogma and wasn't worried in the slightest about popularity.

Interestingly, she won the election against a Labour Prime Minister who had never faced a general election as PM as Callaghan had taken over when Wilson stood down while Labour were in power. Just the same as Brown & Blair.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.