30 Years Ago Today

Mental_blue

City 0 Birmingham 1 - my first City game.

Book and Allison had just been sacked and John Bond was in the crowd having been appointed as the replacement.

Can't remember the team but I think Corrigan, Caton, Henry, Power, Reid, Mckenzie and Bennett were in the side and most definately in the side was a very ordinary Steve Daley who was shipped out to the US later that season.

Within the first couple of weeks we signed Macdonald, Gow and Hutchinson and got the League Cup semis and FA Cup final. Think that was probably the most succesful we have been since!!

Was only a casual fan back then as I was at Uni and the ground was within walking distance. Had I know back then what I know now about the next thirty years, would I still have continued to attend - of course I would.

Mental_blue said:
City 0 Birmingham 1 - my first City game.

Book and Allison had just been sacked and John Bond was in the crowd having been appointed as the replacement.

Can't remember the team but I think Corrigan, Caton, Henry, Power, Reid, Mckenzie and Bennett were in the side and most definately in the side was a very ordinary Steve Daley who was shipped out to the US later that season.

Within the first couple of weeks we signed Macdonald, Gow and Hutchinson and got the League Cup semis and FA Cup final. Think that was probably the most succesful we have been since!!

Was only a casual fan back then as I was at Uni and the ground was within walking distance. Had I know back then what I know now about the next thirty years, would I still have continued to attend - of course I would.

I was there too mate.

That game was the turning point for City - for a while at least.

I wasn't even a spunk bubble then lol my first game was the 1995 season with my old man in the old kippax, i remember those blue bars.
My dad used to go sick at me because i was up and down on them like a yoyo lol! Good times, better times ahead.

I interviewed Bond about this a few years ago for Manchester The Greatest City and he said: "We lost the first game through a penalty in the last minute against Birmingham, but from then on we climbed and I won the Manager of the Month award for November & December. That set us off."

He also said "To be honest any fool could have turned them around to some extent."

I was there as well at the top of The Kippax.

From the game after that we brought in Tommy Hutch, Gow & McDonald and looked a good team at times. Only to be robbed by Liverpool/Ref in the LC semi and fate in the FA Cup final.

This was about the time I started supporting City.On the way to the cup final,I think we beat Norwich 6-0 and I thought "they must be good if they can win 6-0".Fucking glory-hunter me.

yea me too, i think it was archie gemmell who scored the penalty, it was gerry gow who made the difference to city when he arrived so did we?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.