31 | Ederson - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ederson may not have been in top form this last month but there's no doubt we have the best goalkeeper in the europe.

I really don't want to be negative after that great title win but fuck me I have to respond to this. He is nowhere near the best goalie in Europe. He isn't even the best keeper in his own league.

Their keeper Olsen is claiming anything in the air within 12 yards of their box

Corrigan used to do that, but why not Ederson
Olsen is 6'5", Ederson is 6'2" a small difference to us but a lot for keepers. Pl stats show Ederson is one of the top ranking keepers for claiming crosses. Olsen claim a lot in the air when he was unchallenged and in space, he probably didn't fears our giant forwards, Foden, Jesus and Mahrez, not exactly Haaland hulks. Ederson is pretty good at judging when to try to claim in the air.

Quite. I've heard this stuff increasingly over recent months and not just on the concourse before and during games; it's even making its way into the media narrative to use as knocking copy against City.

Perhaps those criticising Ederson for not being 'a good shot-stopper' and for not, therefore, 'winning us vital games/points' might care to wander across to the 'Media Thread' (I think!) to see the highlights of the game at Villa Park posted by another Blue.

The highlights have been posted to point out the stupidity of MOTD's 'Goal of the Month/Year' votes, given these often favour a goal from a Liverpool player, voted for en masse by partial Scouse fans (although it seems to me Arsenal fans are just as guilty of doing the same!) The game at Villa featured the sublime goal volleyed by Bernardo after City turned defending a corner into a masterclass of highly skilful counter-attacking and was, in my opinion, the goal of the season, bar none.. but of course, ignored by the MOTD vote.

But the highlights also show how Villa almost came back to equalise towards the end of the game, when Ederson spread himself to turn away Chukuemeka's shot from close range. It was a magnificent save.

Imagine, had the shot gone in and we had come away with one point rather than all three. Yesterday, it could have meant us starting one point behind Liverpool, rather than one ahead..

So, thanks Eddie for yet another 'Golden Glove' season and being the best at what you do, for being the perfect goalkeeper for Pep's team. And given your age, keep on developing into (potentially) the best goalkeeper ever.
Top post.

Interesting graphic from the Athletic. Turns out we have a solid goalkeeper in terms of shot stopping only beaten by a few and those few likely had many many more shots against them making it mire likely to prevent some goals and make great saves.View attachment 44261
And there you have it. The stats that prove what a crap goal keeper Ederson is. My god he let in 0.5 goals this season he really should have saved. Who needs his fancy dan distribution.

Olsen is 6'5", Ederson is 6'2" a small difference to us but a lot for keepers. Pl stats show Ederson is one of the top ranking keepers for claiming crosses. Olsen claim a lot in the air when he was unchallenged and in space, he probably didn't fears our giant forwards, Foden, Jesus and Mahrez, not exactly Haaland hulks. Ederson is pretty good at judging when to try to claim in the air.
Fair comment.

Do you think Ederson is susceptible to medium range shots which he should deal with better. I'm thinking particularly of the Jota shot to equalise at the Etihad which I thought he could have stopped with his foot.

Fair comment.

Do you think Ederson is susceptible to medium range shots which he should deal with better. I'm thinking particularly of the Jota shot to equalise at the Etihad which I thought he could have stopped with his foot.
That space in goal is huge, much bigger than it appears on screen. I don't think he is particularly susceptible to medium range shots any more than most. That Jota goal was only 7 yards out and was more of a pass in than a hard shot, which is what he might have anticipated. The play had moved very quickly from side to side and he had to adjust his positioning a lot during the build up, he looked disappointed so maybe he thought he could have done better. A lot of goals are scored close to a keeper's body and from mishits and deflections, they might look easy to save, but you only have to stand in the goal and get somebody to shoot from 7 yards at you to appreciate how difficult it is.

A great goalkeeper is worth 8-10 points a season. Ederson is not saving enough shots.
He must be a great goalkeeper so, no other team got 93 points or had more wins. Poor Tim Krull probably saved 10 + shots on average per game and Norwich still got relegated. By your logic City should have only 83/85 points because we don't have a great goalkeeper saving enough shots.

I’m guessing you didn’t see Pope in midweek, some of the saves he made he had no right to make.

But he can’t play out from the back so wouldn’t fit our team.

I just wish Ederson would improve his shot stopping to previous levels. He’s conceded 4 of the last 5 shots on target he’s faced.
I saw Pope in midweek and he made some great saves, but you cannot assume Ederson would not have made those saves if it had been him, it's just speculation. 4 out of 5 shots on target doesn't mean much when put in context, the target is an 8 foot high by 8 yards wide goal, not the 6'2" keeper defending it. An average keeper could save a shot on target, if it's near enough to him or be no where near the ball if it went to a different part of the goal. Each individual shot saved/unsaved is a unique event so there is little value in comparing keepers based on percentage shots on target saved as no 2 saves are identical. Coutinho's shot was on target, right in the bottom corner from relatively close range in a situation only a mindreader could say where he would aim for, maybe a robot might have saved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.