31 | Ederson - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
These questions are being asked partly due to the nature the GK position - you don't get squad rotation unlike other positions. Others underperform - maybe they're rested, or maybe its viewed as tactical, or maybe they're dropped. We're never sure but we go with it, whatever the reason.

Ederson plays whatever happens. Maybe a change would help, maybe not. But I reckon these main things.

1. Not all recent goals are down to him.
2. He can play better than he has recently.
3. We should always look to improve our squad (and starting lineup), regardless of the position.
4. His kicking is being defended against better than a few years ago and it is reducing the advantage his kicking gave us.

The thing is he’s kicking isn’t as good as it was not down to him being shit it’s because no one presses him anymore …

They’ve all worked out if they press him they get murdered.

He gets the ball both centre backs split / are in the areas to receive the ball and no one is pressing him .

Ends of chipping it to the wings or launching it . So what’s the point in having a keeper good with their feet now ??
Because it gives the cbs an extra passing option who is arguable just as capable of picking a pass put under pressure

I think Ederson is normally an okay keeper for the league. His distribution makes him a net positive over 38 games, especially when about 30 of those games involve teams who only want to sit back, and even if he does drop a clanger in one game, it'll even out across the season.

The guy's just not cut out for the CL, though. CLs are won in the margins--no matter how much you control or dominate games, there will be periods when you're under pressure and forced to play in a way you don't want. In Ederson's case, that means facing high-quality chances and having to stop high-quality shots. That's a department he's failed in every year. What's his European save percentage? 38%? Simply unacceptable.

City really should have done what Barcelona did in 14/15, a time-sharing arrangement between Bravo and ter Stegen. Keylor Navas, a winner of multiple CLs, was available for for cheap last summer.

Where did I say he is shit? Sure overreact to undermine my argument. Again, tell me how a player who's had close to 100 games by now (this and last season) with low level cannot be criticized? Is that the way you argue? Literally none of the things you wrote are things I said. What's the point of discussing if you cannot keep composure?

You compare him to Pep, but even if this is not being a great season, we are top 2, advanced at UCL, beat Chelsea and Arsenal for the Fa Cup. Comparing Pep's season and form to someone being in the bottom 20% in Europe doesn't make any sense.
Sorry mate, must be confusing you with someone else who’s saying he’s mediocre; average goalkeepers have a far better YouTube reel & he’s in the bottom 20% of keepers in Europe

There’s over 2,500 pro goalkeepers in Europe, so if you rate him in the he bottom 20%, that means there’s 2,000 keepers in Europe better than him in your opinion. I’m pretty sure all that alludes to him being shit

I’d also suggest we need to sack our scouting team if your subjective opinion is indeed factual as you want to claim

Or didn’t you say any of that either?

I mean as they say attack best form of defence we was so good at keeping the ball loads of teams didn't get so many great chances at our goal. and can you honestly say you can back Ederson to save us if we needed a big performance from him
From what I can remember this season, at Leicester away Ederson made two decent saves and we won 0-1 and Villa away he came out and stopped Watkins taking a 1v1 chance to win the game late on.

He also did the same with the same player the other week to stop it being 3-2 after an Akanji mistake.

Go to the search function and look for the post-game MOTM threads and see how often people vote for Ederson or mention him doing something big in the game where the game could have been very different without that moment.

I mean as they say attack best form of defence we was so good at keeping the ball loads of teams didn't get so many great chances at our goal. and can you honestly say you can back Ederson to save us if we needed a big performance from him

He's been off it this year, but last year in one of our absolutely most difficult games, he robbed Atleti twice in injury time just as a single example.

Sorry mate, must be confusing you with someone else who’s saying he’s mediocre; average goalkeepers have a far better YouTube reel & he’s in the bottom 20% of keepers in Europe

There’s over 2,500 pro goalkeepers in Europe, so if you rate him in the he bottom 20%, that means there’s 2,000 keepers in Europe better than him in your opinion. I’m pretty sure all that alludes to him being shit

I’d also suggest we need to sack our scouting team if your subjective opinion is indeed factual as you want to claim

Or didn’t you say any of that either?
Now we are talking. He's a mediocre shot-stopper. I have watched plenty of highlights to compare them to Ederson and I feel confident with what I say, have you? So yeah that is subjective, BUT this season he is in the bottom 20% and last season in the bottom 40%. That is not an opinion, that is a fact based on stats.

Of course, our scout team is great, and Ederson was a wonderful player for our team because of the way we need to play. Even when he is average at shot-stopping, I would never change him for 99% GK when he was at his normal levels 2-4 years ago, but he has been in a super low level (and dropping as time goes by more and more) for a year and a half. I want him gone because I think it is the best for City, not because I hate Ederson. I'll be grateful for his impact in City, just as I was with Sterling (who just like Ederson was in a really low level for year and a half, and as you can see has not improved on Chelsea at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.