33 years ago today.....

It was the only time my mum was really pleased to see me when I got home as she thought for a time it was our game that it had happened at.
I had turned 15 in the January of 89 and this was my 2nd away match that season.

Scott Sellars destroyed Tags, it was an awful game and the news at half-time was sickening. I was 23, already a season ticket veteran of 7 seasons and was going to most of the away games. Away games of course were different back then and Hillsborough and their Police were as bad as anywhere.

Was there. Weirdly in a rovers exec box with my dad, can’t remember why, just remember Garner seemingly always in space and then the grim news.

I misread the date but was there and yes I can’t ever recall a city player being so outplayed as Taggart was that day. News filtered through on the terraces and even listening to the radio after the game in the car we had no idea of the gravity of it.I hated those days when we were penned in.

Reminds me of the charlton game, in them days no internet obv, but news filtering through that something far more important than football was happening

I was studying in Sheffield at the time and caught the train back there afterwards to be met by a chaotic city full of police, tv crews and football supporters wandering round in a daze
I was in a meeting in Sheffield that day. We were traveling home on Worrall Road, looking down at Hillsborough, watching the chaos, with the story unfolding on BBC Radio. We traveled back to Manchester in a stunned silence.

I was there. Terrible day and then we heard about Hillsborough when we got back to the coach.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.