"33 Years and we're still here..."

Great post - I've said it before and I'll say it again: Two things in the past 2 years have happened which have changed our support.

1 - Svens first 10 games made everyone believe that we were brilliant - expectations raised.
2 - Signing Robinho made everyone believe that every world class footballer would flock to City within hours - expectations raised.

It's the day after Spurs away today. Similarly to two seasons ago, it was our last away game of the season. Around this time of day on the Monday, (whilst I was travelling from Sheffield to Shrewsbury to watch the MK Dons in the play off semi final!) Stuart Pearce had been sacked.

Now, I liked Stuart as a bloke, but I thought his time was up at City, so I saw it as a positive thing for us. However, with Bartons situation with Dabo and Distin looking for houses on the south coast, it was a very, very dark time for City. No manager, 2 of our main players for the past 3/4 years not going to be here next season and a chairman who never wanted to be there.

Here we are 2 years later. Mid table perhaps, but on the start of some good times.

We are City - we were loved by the masses for our commitment to shite, lets not be hated for our impatience for progress.

Prestwich_Blue said:
That's what we sing to the rags when they taunt us. We do that because it reminds them (and us) that we are true fans of our club. We love City unconditionally and would never dream of deserting our beloved Blues for a team that kept winning trophies. We followed them in the Premiership, in the Championship and even in League 1.

Unlike the glory hunters from Kent, Devon, Hampshire & Surrey, let alone Malaysia, Thailand & China, it didn't matter to us that we didn't win things. Of course we wanted to and it was painful seeing teams without even a tenth of our history get to cup finals and semi-finals but, at the end of the day, our club was our club, for better or worse.

What made our support even more remarkable was that for most of those 33 years, the only cups we won were the mythical ones for cock-ups. If there was a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory then we found it. If there were 99 ways to do things right and one way to do things wrong, we did it wrong. We even had the only billionaire chairman who was skint and did his best to reduce us to the same state. Yet many won't hear a bad word spoken about him or the crazy year we had under his ownership.

Yet somehow, nine months ago this bizarre and contrary club (which had seriously been looking at the possibility of administration) somehow found itself owned by one of the wealthiest men on the planet who was prepared to invest the money to turn us into a force in world football and so far has proved true to his word. And we've not even had a summer window (apart from that mad and wonderful September day last summer) to do our buying. We've had a great European run which culminated in that fantastic night at CoMS against Hamburg, where our owners sacrificed revenue for the opportunity to fill the stadium. £5 to watch a European quarter final - who else would do that for their fans?

We should be filled with excitement about the immediate summer ahead and our future in general yet I look around this board and see a tide of hostility and negativity. Talk of "Hughes Out" chants and protests next week, e-mails to Gary Cook, fans turning on fans. What the fuck has happened to us?

Before you all start on me, I know 9th or 10th is not what we expected.
I know we've been crap away from home (and I have come away from some of those games furious that I've wasted £60 or more).
I know we got dumped out of both cups by lower league opposition (and that's NEVER happened before has it?).
I know we have thrown away leads that we should have held onto.
I know that we've failed to rescue most games we've gone behind in.
I know that some of the manager's tactics and substitutions have been puzzling.

But I'll be there on Sunday to support them (though they may infuriate me yet again).
Whoever the manager is, I'll be back next season (although I might moan about some of his decisions). Whatever our owners do, I'll still support the club (although I might not agree with everything they do).
Whoever wears the shirt I'll still support them (even though they may be the bigggest, one footed donkey under the sun).
Wherever I find fellow blues I'll still feel part of a wonderful family (even though we may have totally opposing views)

There is a Chinese saying (wrongly attributed to Mao Tse Tung) that a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Well we've taken that step. It may have been somewhat uncertain and doddery at times but we've taken it and the journey has started. I know it probably won't happen next season. Or the one after. But for once I believe that sometime in the next few seasons, that journey will end and we will win a trophy again and/or break into the top 4. And if we have faith in and support our owner and whoever our manager is, we will do it again and again and again. So let's all take a chill pill and a step back and think about what that day will be like, because it IS coming.

Don't forget; 33 years and we're still here...
Quality post mate,sometimes we forget how fortunate we actually are and its nice to be reminded!!!! we can be excited about our clubs future its a shame we dont ll realise it a bit more.

Prestwich_Blue said:
That's what we sing to the rags when they taunt us. We do that because it reminds them (and us) that we are true fans of our club. We love City unconditionally and would never dream of deserting our beloved Blues for a team that kept winning trophies. We followed them in the Premiership, in the Championship and even in League 1.

Unlike the glory hunters from Kent, Devon, Hampshire & Surrey, let alone Malaysia, Thailand & China, it didn't matter to us that we didn't win things. Of course we wanted to and it was painful seeing teams without even a tenth of our history get to cup finals and semi-finals but, at the end of the day, our club was our club, for better or worse.

What made our support even more remarkable was that for most of those 33 years, the only cups we won were the mythical ones for cock-ups. If there was a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory then we found it. If there were 99 ways to do things right and one way to do things wrong, we did it wrong. We even had the only billionaire chairman who was skint and did his best to reduce us to the same state. Yet many won't hear a bad word spoken about him or the crazy year we had under his ownership.

Yet somehow, nine months ago this bizarre and contrary club (which had seriously been looking at the possibility of administration) somehow found itself owned by one of the wealthiest men on the planet who was prepared to invest the money to turn us into a force in world football and so far has proved true to his word. And we've not even had a summer window (apart from that mad and wonderful September day last summer) to do our buying. We've had a great European run which culminated in that fantastic night at CoMS against Hamburg, where our owners sacrificed revenue for the opportunity to fill the stadium. £5 to watch a European quarter final - who else would do that for their fans?

We should be filled with excitement about the immediate summer ahead and our future in general yet I look around this board and see a tide of hostility and negativity. Talk of "Hughes Out" chants and protests next week, e-mails to Gary Cook, fans turning on fans. What the fuck has happened to us?

Before you all start on me, I know 9th or 10th is not what we expected.
I know we've been crap away from home (and I have come away from some of those games furious that I've wasted £60 or more).
I know we got dumped out of both cups by lower league opposition (and that's NEVER happened before has it?).
I know we have thrown away leads that we should have held onto.
I know that we've failed to rescue most games we've gone behind in.
I know that some of the manager's tactics and substitutions have been puzzling.

But I'll be there on Sunday to support them (though they may infuriate me yet again).
Whoever the manager is, I'll be back next season (although I might moan about some of his decisions). Whatever our owners do, I'll still support the club (although I might not agree with everything they do).
Whoever wears the shirt I'll still support them (even though they may be the bigggest, one footed donkey under the sun).
Wherever I find fellow blues I'll still feel part of a wonderful family (even though we may have totally opposing views)

There is a Chinese saying (wrongly attributed to Mao Tse Tung) that a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Well we've taken that step. It may have been somewhat uncertain and doddery at times but we've taken it and the journey has started. I know it probably won't happen next season. Or the one after. But for once I believe that sometime in the next few seasons, that journey will end and we will win a trophy again and/or break into the top 4. And if we have faith in and support our owner and whoever our manager is, we will do it again and again and again. So let's all take a chill pill and a step back and think about what that day will be like, because it IS coming.

Don't forget; 33 years and we're still here...

The first thing that made me feel positive today. Whether he stays or goes lets get behind the boys next week. I believe we WILL progress next season, how much who knows. But we'll still be here

Glorious opening post.

I'm sick of the Hughes out stuff. People can think what they want but it is their relentlessness that gets me. I don't think I'll be responding to them any more.

GStar said:
Pretwich and Liamctid ... absolutely spot on.

Two fantastic posts.

i have to agree. The one thing that you have to remember is that we are city fans first and foremost, and our love for OUR club is unconditional, sure there are things i dont like or agree with that go on in and arround our club, but that doesnt diminish my love for City. I was gutted yesterday but in reality we were clutching at straws, fulham were always in pole position for europe, and we as city fans were expecting miracles if we thought newcastle would actually beat them to give us a chance. That refereeing descision yesterday didnt stop us getting into europe, our woefull away form al season did. I fully expect that to change next season, home form has been good for a couple of years, we just need to add a little away form to supliment it. Lets face it if we had won 5 aways instead of 2 we would be in europe already.

see you all next sunday, and roll on next season after the summer rollercoaster in the press.

Great post by preswitch_blue, spot on with everything he's saying. We have all witnessed the bad stuff, no doubt about that, and now it's our chance to get something good. So instead of "pissing on our chips" lets keep that support we've got alive and we may actually be rewarded for once.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.