4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the comparisons with Rodri's first season are ridiculous. In 15 minutes you could see so much quality in Rodri, and it was obvious that he just lacked the physicality of PL, and it was just about time to adapt to it. Really, I invite anyone who makes that stupid comparison to go and watch Rodri's first match (against Liverpool!!) and he was great that match. With 90 min, you don't get the full picture, but you get a really good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of a player, and Kalvin is not a player for us. Especially when we talk about DM!!
There are no comparisons with Rodri's first season. The comparisons are in the similarity between comments made in the performance threads of both players. Both players were unfairly judged on their early performances, and it is a pattern here from some posters. Opinions are valid, of course, but forming one that declares that a player will never be good enough, one who has played a total of 293m of football for us, and is recovering from injury and operations, is ridiculous, in my view.

How many players do you know of that have received early criticism but gone on to be great players for us? Gundogan, Rodri, Silva...the list goes on and on.

Last edited:
A big issue for me is the lack of intensity and enthusiasm he appears to be showing.On Saturday he should have been like a man possessed when he got his opportunity,instead i saw a player who was mostly just going through the motions.

The lad has ability,and he was seemingly the perfect back up for Rodri,and maybe a player that could even push him.....yet he doesn't give the impression of someone who wants to be here.
I think he's intentionally playing within himself as the Rodri role is probably the most difficult role to play to pep's satisfaction. Phillips first thought is probably not to positionally slip up.

I think the comparisons with Rodri's first season are ridiculous. In 15 minutes you could see so much quality in Rodri, and it was obvious that he just lacked the physicality of PL, and it was just about time to adapt to it. Really, I invite anyone who makes that stupid comparison to go and watch Rodri's first match (against Liverpool!!) and he was great that match. With 90 min, you don't get the full picture, but you get a really good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of a player, and Kalvin is not a player for us. Especially when we talk about DM!!
Nobody’s saying Phillips is, or will ever be, on Rodri’s level.

The parallel is simply that loads of posters rushed to write off Rodri in his first season.

(FWIW I wasn‘t one of them!)

How many players do you know of that have received early criticism but gone on to be great players for us? Gundogan, Rodri, Silva...the list goes on and on.
Thankfully there was no Bluemoon in Joe Corrigan’s day. The Internet would have melted and Ric would have been living in a cardboard box instead of his mansion.

The problem I have is that Pep clearly sees Rodri as one of the mosy important players in the starting 11 and doesnt want to rotate him.

Okay fine, but there must be a way to get Kalvin some minutes.

Why not do what he has done in previous seasons, let Philips play inverted RB.

Walker and Lewis are clearly not as important to Pep as Rodri as he has rotated that position so many times.

Would be interesting to see a pairing of Rodri AND Philips, I think that can be a strong centre.

A mate just sent me a link to the Sun and there is a headline about Kalvin getting a parking ticket in his Lamborghini and is due a £60 fine , must be a slow news day.
Not going to post the link , but if you look on the Sun on line it is there in all its glory, how desperate are the red tops for a negative City story , its getting f*cking laughable.

A mate just sent me a link to the Sun and there is a headline about Kalvin getting a parking ticket in his Lamborghini and is due a £60 fine , must be a slow news day.
Not going to post the link , but if you look on the Sun on line it is there in all its glory, how desperate are the red tops for a negative City story , its getting f*cking laughable.

Has anyone started a 'gofundme' page for him yet?

Thankfully there was no Bluemoon in Joe Corrigan’s day. The Internet would have melted and Ric would have been living in a cardboard box instead of his mansion.

Ha ha big Joe was once so bad we went out and signed a keeper, Keith McRea for £100,000, which I think was a record for a keeper back then?
Unfortunately kippers McRea wasn't very good either. Big Joe worked hard on his game and when he got back into the side never looked back.
Trust me though when he was bad he was very bad. I was in the scoreboard end wet through when we lost to West Ham 5-2 and Ronnie Boyce lobbed him from near the halfway line. Joe was walking back head down, back to his net after just taking a free kick, totally oblivious to the ball sailing over his head. I still can see the look of shock on his face when our screaming alerted him to the danger. Too late alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.