40 years ago today

A story goes Trevor Francis and his agent travelling up to dicuss terms with the City board were pondering how much of a wage he should ask for. £4,000 a week was decided, hoping to get £3,000. As they sat down in the boardroom Swales stood up saying " We will pay you £6,000 a week and not a penny more" Francis and his agent could hardly keep a straight face.

Short lived but what a player, remember the trip to Stoke, but what hurt was selling him just before the start of a new season, me and my mates were all gutted, we were on holiday in Spain and could not believe he had gone.

Eh; it was a scorching hot Saturday afternoon. One of my most memorable away days, the place was rammed with blues.
Anyone remember who scored our other goal that day, WITHOUT GOOGLING IT?

If I remember correctly, it was Phil Boyer
was it that rarity....a Phil Boyer goal?
What a player Francis was and we had such high hopes that season because the squad was really good...Francis, Reeves, Tommy Hutch, Tueart, Hartford, Gow, Power etc but injures ravaged us

I’ve simply never got that vibe from him at all. I’ve also seen him write very fondly about City supporters. Think there were some issues with his wages being paid on time on a couple of occasions, but he got them in the end and got a big money move to Sampdoria, so he’d have no reason to hate us, and as far as I’m concerned, he doesn’t.
I take it you've never heard him commentate or discuss us pre and post match? Never heard him say a good word about us worse than Danny mills

I take it you've never heard him commentate or discuss us pre and post match? Never heard him say a good word about us worse than Danny mills
Yep, never really heard him say anything positive, a bit like Niall Quinn. Wonderful player though.

I was absolutely smashed that day.

Was it fancy dress?

A story goes Trevor Francis and his agent travelling up to dicuss terms with the City board were pondering how much of a wage he should ask for. £4,000 a week was decided, hoping to get £3,000. As they sat down in the boardroom Swales stood up saying " We will pay you £6,000 a week and not a penny more" Francis and his agent could hardly keep a straight face.
Think you might need to take a zero off that. No player was getting paid £6,000 per week in 1981

John Barnes became the first £10k per week footballer in 1992 and there was an outcry then that wages were out of control

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.